Honored Contributor

Re: One of our 50 is Missing (NM magazine)

@Dell1 wrote:

I am from Wyoming.  My Mother and I were visiting my brother who lived in Los Angeles.  My brother, his wife, my Mother, and I were going to go out to dinner.  I was chatting with the woman who was going to watch my brother's daughter before we left.  She asked where I was from.  I stated Wyoming.  She asked me how the beaches were in Wyoming?  I really didn't have an answer for her.

I would have said, "Few and far between."

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Sad isn't it.  I know Geography has been removed from the studies in grade school. 

Met a gal in college who didn't know what Wyomig was or what it was about. 

Oh yeah, and these folks want to run things and be in charge. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

@Dell1  I've been snorkling there for yearrrs!  Tropical FishOK Hand Sign

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No Cursive, no Geography.  Gee, the kids should be brilliant in the other remaining classes, because much more time is allotted to those remaining classes.  Right?    (?)  (Questioning kitty)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AliJoi5 wrote:

You have no idea how many times I say I'm from Rhode Island, and the person says, "Oh New York? That's cool."  Long Island, Rhode Island, tomayto, tomahto - what's the difference!  I'm mean, I know we're tiny, but...  Confused Face

@AliJoi5  im0168.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

If you live in (or just love) New Mexico, you probably already know about this. 

When I consider moving to a new area I always try to subscribe to a newspaper or magazine from an area to help in my research.  I haven't moved anywhere yet!

NM magazine has a great feature called "One of our 50 is Missing."  In it, people tell stories about how a lot of people still don't know that New Mexico is a state, and either can't ship there, or think it's part of the country of Mexico, and more.  One story recently told about the state of Pennsylvania rejecting a check from New Mexico because it needed to be in "US funds."

Check these out on the nmmagazine website under "culture."  Very funny and yet very enlightening as to the lack of geography knowledge in the US today. 

Homegirl, my daughter was born in Albuquerque and when that is brought up I am absolutely shocked at the crazy comments we get. The most common one is that they will say they didn't realize she was not born in the US. At first I thought they didn't hear her or I say "NEW" before Mexico, but no, that isn't it! UGH! It is really frightening.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@AliJoi5 wrote:

@Dell1  I've been snorkling there for yearrrs!  Tropical FishOK Hand Sign

@AliJoi5   Actually we do have such a spot in NM.  It's a crystal clear spring fed lake about 60ft in diameter and over 80 ft deep in the city of Santa Rosa about half way between Albuquerque and Amarillo Tx.   Scuba divers come from all over the Southwest to practice here.  It's called the Blue Hole.

image.jpg

Valued Contributor

That is verrry cool @Kachina624!  So it's a naturally occurring source?  Kind of like a hot spring?  Ya learn somethin new every day!  Water Wave

Honored Contributor

@AliJoi5.  Yes, it's natural and the water stays the same temperature all year.  It's actually deeper than 80ft but they put a grill at the bottom because it branches out into caves and they didn't want the adventurous exploring them.

Honored Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

I am from Wyoming.  My Mother and I were visiting my brother who lived in Los Angeles.  My brother, his wife, my Mother, and I were going to go out to dinner.  I was chatting with the woman who was going to watch my brother's daughter before we left.  She asked where I was from.  I stated Wyoming.  She asked me how the beaches were in Wyoming?  I really didn't have an answer for her.

Some of my "eastern" friends and relatives don't know that we have running water, indoor plumbing, and paved roads in Arizona...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥