Honored Contributor

One of our 50 is Missing (NM magazine)

If you live in (or just love) New Mexico, you probably already know about this. 

When I consider moving to a new area I always try to subscribe to a newspaper or magazine from an area to help in my research.  I haven't moved anywhere yet!

NM magazine has a great feature called "One of our 50 is Missing."  In it, people tell stories about how a lot of people still don't know that New Mexico is a state, and either can't ship there, or think it's part of the country of Mexico, and more.  One story recently told about the state of Pennsylvania rejecting a check from New Mexico because it needed to be in "US funds."

Check these out on the nmmagazine website under "culture."  Very funny and yet very enlightening as to the lack of geography knowledge in the US today. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: One of our 50 is Missing (NM magazine)

It's amazing how ignorant most Americans are about geography.  I think all of us who live her have experienced this at least once, but it's better than it used to be.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I was born in NM & used to get stupid comments & questions from people.  "Oh, how long have you lived in the US?"  "How interesting that you were born in Mexico!"  "How long before you become an American citizen?"  LOL!  

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

If you live in (or just love) New Mexico, you probably already know about this. 

When I consider moving to a new area I always try to subscribe to a newspaper or magazine from an area to help in my research.  I haven't moved anywhere yet!

NM magazine has a great feature called "One of our 50 is Missing."  In it, people tell stories about how a lot of people still don't know that New Mexico is a state, and either can't ship there, or think it's part of the country of Mexico, and more.  One story recently told about the state of Pennsylvania rejecting a check from New Mexico because it needed to be in "US funds."

Check these out on the nmmagazine website under "culture."  Very funny and yet very enlightening as to the lack of geography knowledge in the US today. 

That's shameful. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

You have no idea how many times I say I'm from Rhode Island, and the person says, "Oh New York? That's cool."  Long Island, Rhode Island, tomayto, tomahto - what's the difference!  I'm mean, I know we're tiny, but...  Confused Face

Honored Contributor

You mean you're not in Mexico?  ROTFL!  Sounds like a blonde moment to me. (I'm a dirty blonde ... except for the grey.)  Smiley Wink

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I'm not surprised by this at all, saddened yes, surprised no.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

My daughter went to New Mexico for a meeting and someone asked if she had to get a passport!

Esteemed Contributor

Shocking! Unbelievable! But I know it's true. So sad.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

I am from Wyoming.  My Mother and I were visiting my brother who lived in Los Angeles.  My brother, his wife, my Mother, and I were going to go out to dinner.  I was chatting with the woman who was going to watch my brother's daughter before we left.  She asked where I was from.  I stated Wyoming.  She asked me how the beaches were in Wyoming?  I really didn't have an answer for her.