Esteemed Contributor

One Very Lucky 10 Year Old Boy.

A 10 yr. old boy in Texas was accidently shot in the stomach by his 19 yr. old babysitter, a relative.

She found a gun, assumed it was unloaded, and started taking selfies with the gun.  The gun discharged hitting the boy.

He was taken to hospital in critical condition, however, after surgery he was listed as stable.

I just can't understand the thought process of some human beings.  I babysat at a much younger age and my main concern, and my job (for $ .50 an hour), was keeping the kids safe until Mom and Dad came home.

I am just glad the little guy will be okay.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: One Very Lucky 10 Year Old Boy.

true, but if he were really lucky, he wouldnt have been left with such an irresponsible babysitter.

QVC Customer Care

Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I remember as a teen keeping 2 brothers.  Between fixing breakfast, lunch, washing dishes, keeping them safe and playing games my day was full. 

I doubt if parents had gun laying on table for sitter to pick up.  That is no excuse for gun being available for sitter to easily get access to. If she was so self absorbed in taking selfie instead doing the job she was hired to do, I would not be surprised if she wasn't looking for props to make her selfie interesting when she shared it with her friends.

Thank goodness  the child lived!  I hope parents realized just how bad this could have turned out and that they would have to live with.  I hoped they as gun owners realize, the responsibility they accept for that privilege.  The sitter should be held responsible as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

Bless his heart! I'm so glad he is now listed in stable condition. If all goes well, his physical wounds will heal, but his young mind will most likely have a very difficult time processing this, although he should not have to. There is a reasonable assumption that your child will be safe when placed in the care of a baby-sitter. He should not be suffering because of someone's disregard for safety. I hope that young lady learns a very valuable lesson from this, and absolutely NOT be trusted to care for other children in the future. Whether the parents  are charged with reckless endangerment or not, I hope this preventable accident will influence them to safely secure their weapons in the future. The mother instinct in me wishes I could just hug him, and tell him everything is going to be ok. Poor baby.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

A 10 yr. old boy in Texas was accidently shot in the stomach by his 19 yr. old babysitter, a relative.

She found a gun, assumed it was unloaded, and started taking selfies with the gun.  The gun discharged hitting the boy.

He was taken to hospital in critical condition, however, after surgery he was listed as stable.

I just can't understand the thought process of some human beings.  I babysat at a much younger age and my main concern, and my job (for $ .50 an hour), was keeping the kids safe until Mom and Dad came home.

I am just glad the little guy will be okay.

We need to take a look at the danger of cell phones, with the ability to take photos and the ability to access the internet, in the hands of children and teens. I don't understand why parents are giving their children $500 phones. I don't think children or teens should have access to phones that do any more than text and act like regular phones until they are 21 years old (and hopefully responsible) and I think this should be law.Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

Larely I am having a really hard time reading, hearing all the horrible things that parents do to their children, what happens to many, others too but it just makes me so sad and horrified on what kind of world this is.

And I make plans to never watch the news, but then I do because I don't live on an island and need, want to know what is happening to all the people who share the planet.

So then I have to try to remember, there are good, and kind people.

I know a lot! 

It won't all be good and I hope with all my heart and believe and hope it is true that they will have peace in heaven.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2   At the age of 18, you are considered to be an adult.  You can vote, sign a contract, get married and buy a house and go into the military.

Do you really think they should be able to do all of this, but have to wait until they are 21 to own a phone?

Honored Contributor

I would look at a person taking selfies with a gun a red flag.  Why was there a gun out in the open and why would this girl play around like that with a weapon.  This story says so much to me and I will leave it at that.

I am glad the boy is OK but I'll go out on a limb and say that girl needs help and the boy's parents need to put their gun in a safe place.

Honored Contributor

@gramgrandkids1 wrote:

I doubt if parents had gun laying on table for sitter to pick up.  

Of course it was laying around.

'Play like' she -was- looking for something.

That gun should've been in a 1) locked container & 

2) unloaded.  Yes, the sitter was an idiot but remember 

the article said 'relative' so the gun owners are idiots as well.