Esteemed Contributor

Re: One Person Led to 100+ Infections

@novamc1  Nope ,I stand by my statement. I have been reading too & listening.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I go through all these different discussions I keep hearing those lyrics from the REO Speedwagon song in my head......." I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another...."

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think test kits or any expert could haven prevented this from spreading.  There have been viruses and other sicknesses all thoughout the history of humans.

We know more now, and many viruses have been slowed down, but not many have been conquered. Unfortunally, they will always be with us, at least in our lifetime.

Because we can board a plane and be on the other side of the word in 24 hrs or less,  diseases spread faster than ever.

It doesn't help to point fingers and blame.  No matter what precautions we ( humans)  take, we can't stop it.  We can only try to avoid it.

Remember 2009?  H1N1 killed a thousand people before it was considered an emergency by somone I can't mention. 59 million American contracted it and 12,000 died.

Esteemed Contributor

We can also take steps to contain it although they will never be 100% effective.

That is what the officials in NYS are attempting to do and I believe that they will have some success moderating the situation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think like many, at first I'm thinking I'll be ok, but then thinking but what if I travel on a plane and bring it back to the elderly I am seeing or bring it back to other family?

Now I'm taking it more seriously for 2 reasons:

1. People may not show symptoms,

and then after you have been near them, a day later or so are tested positive.

2.As we have seen, some people have no problem going out and about even with symptoms and infecting 100's.

Governors and cdc really are saying now, for those over 65 and those with chronic conditions or lowered immune systems, avoid church services, large gatherings, being near those sick (esp. those who have no qualms about coming out in public),  and on and on.

So I guess now I'm feeling, I've got to do everything I can to be safe and keep those who I am around and take care of, safe.

So from going from, this all seems so unreal and far from me and with safe precautions, we'll be ok; I'm now thinking, no it affects how everyone takes precautions, including me!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

The transmission rate is higher, The death rate is higher. It can be spread even before symptoms are showing.  it is much worse than the seasonal flu.

We don't know yet how many people have it. The number of cases confirmed is going to go up quickly as tests are coming in and more tests made now that they are becoming available.

It is no one's fault but the virus'.  We are in this together.

it is a public health issue.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A new study by German scientists released yesterday:  the full report is available online from many sources.  

People ‘shed’ high levels of coronavirus, study finds, but most are likely not infectious after recovery begins

The study also noted that people who are infected begin to develop antibodies to the virus quickly, typically within six to 12 days. The rapid rise of antibodies may explain why about 80% of people infected with the virus do not develop severe disease.

At the same time, the study suggests that while people with mild infections can still test positive by throat swabs for days and even weeks after their illness, those who are only mildly sick are likely not still infectious by about 10 days after they start to experience symptoms.

Trusted Contributor

Just like the Missouri girl who flew back from Milan Italy (of all places!) felt the need to stop and visit a friend in Chicago then went home to her family in Missouri. Then the father and sister went to the dance.  Think about the thousands of people potentially infected by a person who didn't have the BRAINS to understand she was flying in from a highly infected area at the very least to immediately go home and self-quarantine.  Her friend in Chicago who then came into contact with hundreds of people. The family of the friend coming into contact with hundreds of people and on and on and on.  

This is how ONE person can infect thousands.  This is why we ALL have to take responsibility and be prudent during this time.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.