Honored Contributor

Re: One Giant Honoring Another Giant - Bob Dole Stands to Honor Bush

Excellent men and patriots, Bob Dole, and George H. W. Bush.  That standing moment is one for the history books-- wish I had seen it "live".  @beckyb1012, I have often wondered the same as you.   I clearly remember Dole's convention speech, which was a masterpiece of authenticity, from a man who didn't really specialize in oratory.  He's always been much more of a "doer" than a speaker.

Looking forward to hearing what Mike Pence said in eulogy of President Bush--  several people I respect said it was unusually powerful and moving.  I most especially like to hear from people who knew him "when", and have been with him all the way.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio...when I heard the news I also teared up.....and wathing on TV I have the same reaction.  Reagan and Bush, admired them both...part of the greatest generation....the program on TV Tuesday late afternoon  was very moving....the stories about President Bush's letterwriting was  intersting and what an honor it would have been to receive one of those letters.......

Honored Contributor

Vice-President Pence's was very good, oznell, but I was more moved by Paul Ryan's eulogy of President George H.W. Bush.  Ryan related that "H.W." was the first President for whom he voted. 

Honored Contributor

I heard that was very good, @golding76, thanks for the tip-- I'll search that out next!

One of my favorite anecdotes was from a Canadian.  I can't swear for sure, but I think it was on Brit Hume's twitter account.  I think it was sent to him because of his long association with Bush.  The Canadian guide said he never forgot George Bush, who was on one of those "in the wild" fishing trips.  When their food arrived in big coolers, I think from helicopters, President Bush was the only one who helped the employees carry them. The only one.  And the guy produced a picture of G.H.W.B. to prove it, dutifully lugging a cooler... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Further proof of what a fine human being he was.  What a wonderful anecdote, oznell.  Thank you.  So very much in keeping with what we know of this extraordinary man who unfailingly displayed exemplary behavior.

I have a special fondness for "H.W." because his spirit, his essence was so very much like my father's.  Yes, Daddy was a Greek from Greece, but he did not look like what one might expect nor did he behave in a Zorba-like manner.  Very different, in fact.

His being was, I swear, very much like that of President Bush.  My father always admired the British and used them as personal models.  But the decency, the kindness, the strict adherence to guiding principles built upon Judeo/Christian values characterized my father.  President Bush was so highly principled, disciplined, balanced and kind.  How I admire those traits.  I long to be surrounded by such beings again, but so much has changed us and our world.

Can our new generations recapture this exceptional way of being?

ETA:  I cannot remember during whose eulogy of their father this took place, but the camera settled on the faces of President "W" (whom I adore, by the way) and Jeb when certain words of "grace" and the like were used.  Each son had a nod and expression of recognition of the value of certain religious thoughts (do not want to get in trouble here), and it was so reassuring to sense that these sons were connected to their dad's virtues.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

May the Greatest Generations' manners and tradition of respect rub off on all of us who are lucky enough to witness their honor and reverence for another human being no matter what.

Talk about a teachable moment.    

@Laura14

Isn't this the truth ... they just don't make em' like the "greatest generation" I often think (and quite sadly) how many men, including my dad who are gone  to guide us😥

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

May the Greatest Generations' manners and tradition of respect rub off on all of us who are lucky enough to witness their honor and reverence for another human being no matter what.

Talk about a teachable moment.    

@Laura14

Laura, you stated beautifully what many of us are feeling. I cried like a baby when I saw Bob Dole struggle to pay his final respect. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 I understand. My grandfathers were the best gentleman I ever knew and didn't suffer fools well either.

@golding76 I know exactly how Ryan feels. He was my 'first' too.
Regular Contributor

To these heroes from the “Greatest Generation” honor, respect, sacrifice, and service have always been more than just words. They live these values everyday. And now that so many are in their final years and are beginning to leave us, we realize how deeply fortunate we have been to have had them and the sacrifices they made in our lifetime. The photos of Bob Dole standing at George H.W. Bush’s casket are poignant and bring forth a lot of emotion. 

Respected Contributor

My dad a pilot in WWII was one of those gentlemen from the greatest generation.  I cried when I saw Bob Dole stand and salute President Bush.