Honored Contributor

ON THIS DAY:

In 1912, the British liner RMS Titanic collided with an iceberg in the North Atlantic at 11:40 p.m. ship’s time and began sinking. The ship went under two hours and 40 minutes later with the loss of 1,514 lives

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Thank You for bringing this to our attention. 

@SeaMaiden wrote:

ON THIS DAY:

In 1912, the British liner RMS Titanic collided with an iceberg in the North Atlantic at 11:40 p.m. ship’s time and began sinking. The ship went under two hours and 40 minutes later with the loss of 1,514 lives

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

ON THIS DAY:

@SeaMaiden   My granddaughter is in 3rd grade.  This week they presented the story of the Titanic in her class.   Kids dressed in "Titanic" attire for the day.  She really enjoyed the history of that time....and has not stopped talking about it.   She cannot believe that something like this could really happen...

Honored Contributor

I've always felt Cunard was criminally negligent in not providing enough lifeboats for all the passengers and crew.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I've always felt Cunard was criminally negligent in not providing enough lifeboats for all the passengers and crew.

@Love my grandkids  Yes, not enough lifeboats and the captain was a jerk. Paid no attention to warnings, shut down radios when he knew he was in iceberg territory and didn't slow down.

Respected Contributor

So sad!  Just found this:

"How many people survived the Titanic disaster?

712 people survived the sinking of the Titanic out of 2,208 aboard. Some people reached boats but died before being rescued."

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Re: On This Day 04 /14/1912

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Love my grandkids   I thought the Titanic was part of the Whtie Star line and in competition with Cunard.

The White Star line was owned by Harland and Wolf out of Ireland and H&W built the Titanic.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

@Cakers3  You are correct.  Titanic was a White Star Line ship & Carpathia (who rescued Titanic survivors) was a Cunard ship.