Honored Contributor

Re: On Shrove Tuesdays, I Lament That Virginia Did Not Have Significant German Settlements

Now I'm missing New Orleans....

Honored Contributor

Re: On Shrove Tuesdays, I Lament That Virginia Did Not Have Significant German Settlements

Every year my husband would get up early and go down to the bakery to buy several dozen fastnacht donuts so I could take them into work. 

But since he had his heart attacks, I have not said a word today about fastnacht donuts. He is trying to keep all sweets and red meat etc. down to a minimum or mostly not at all. And the Cardio Rehab people keep stressing, if you don't buy it you won't eat it.

I missed them. And yes there are several excellent German Bakeries in the area. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Now I'm missing New Orleans....

@Oznell 

I know what it means

To miss New Orleans!

⚜️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

In eastern PA we had/have donut day.  Same idea of all the other pre Lent traditions.  My mother made her own!  So yummy! 

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, I was thinking of that song as I wrote that, @Drythe!

Many's the time I've sat in some little 'boite' in the Quarter, with the plaintive strains of  "Do you know what it MEENS/  To miss New Or- LEENS?"  floating overhead....

Honored Contributor

Although definitely not quite in the same lane, I was overjoyed to see Hamentaschen being sold at BJs the other day.

The common chord I’m thinking of is that all of these yummy edibles are gustatory harbingers of SPRING!!!!

Joy and Peace and Promise for better weather for all who are reading here!!!

Trusted Contributor

@violann  Thank you, and I hope your day has peace and hopefully nicer weather, our winter is holding on tight in Western NY.

Honored Contributor

I’ve never heard of any of these foods! I did have a beignet once.