Honored Contributor

Re: On Line Harrasment

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

....please keep your negative answers out of this

Comments like this can/do/probably started this in the first place.

Harrassment just doesn't fall from the sky. 

Hopefully we can glean something from this experience

which will help in the future.  Look/Read/Listen/Learn

@Mz iMac

EXCELLENT advice!

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

....please keep your negative answers out of this

Comments like this can/do/probably started this in the first place.

Harrassment just doesn't fall from the sky. 

Hopefully we can glean something from this experience

which will help in the future.  Look/Read/Listen/Learn

@Mz iMac

EXCELLENT advice!

Wow @sidsmom, your response is SO uncalled for.  Do you also blame rape victims for being raped?  There is no telling what sets off a psycho or troll.  Apparently there's also no telling what will set off a holier than thou!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I live in a very small town with a very pro active plice force, good thing I live ina  4 unit building with a cop and a retired cop in the same unit .

@I am still oxox PLEASE stay out of that chatroom. I have experience with chatrooms from when I first came online in 1997. Believe me, they got absolutely evil. The best thing to do is leave the chatroom completely and don't go back. Don't peek, don't use another name to peek in and see what's going on. Just stay away. When there's nobody to fan the flame, he will move on to someone else.

In the meantime, you are doing the right thing, and I'm glad you have some protection in your building.

Stay safe!!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I deleted because it was in response to a post that has now been deleted.

I do hope TPTB are seriously looking into that poster.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox

It is very easy for someone to get your IP address from your computer and find you.   Scared?  You should be.

I work in IT, so I know what can be done in the cyber world.  NOTHING is secure.  NOTHING.

Secure your FB page immediately.  You only want your Friends to be able to see your stuff.  Hide everything else from friends of friends.  In some instances, I only have myself as the person who can view things.  And NEVER post where you live on social media, like FB.  Make sure only friends can see your friends list and your pics.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A similar situation happened to me and I learned a hard sad lesson. Listen to DH and DO NOT engage any further. As someone said feeding a troll is how they get sated....no food, they usually go away.The need to take it further is a dangerous dance....like having an urge to punish....resist it and any further written battle (revenge type actions) as even tho cyber bullying/stalking is a crime most of the time they will do nothing until something awful happens. I always say Noone can do a Tango alone so DH has given you some sound advice. My stalker also "took it further" and showed up at my home one dark moonless night for revenge. I live in the middle of nowhere (average police response time when not busy is 45 minutes by the way).....you bet I will never be without self protection again. But I will also NEVER dance the dance of the cyber battleground of wits EVER again. You know what they say about sticks and stones regarding name calling. PLEASE listen to DH.......you never want to have my experience. As far as chat rooms............this is scary enough here at times and I wont do them again. I will find something more productive to do with my time.

Honored Contributor

Well, if he has your address, that's on you.  You put it out there.  I agree with your husband, stay out of that chat room.   You alerted the administrators.  That's all you can do.  Truly, I don't see where you have a problem.  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have been chatting in a particular chat room since 1997, and people come and go. Recently a chatter who is a known "troll" has taken to attack me, first it was calling me name, then calling my late Mom horrible things, he has now found my name, and address, we had a friend in common on FB.

He is now broadcasting my name in the room at naseaum, i have altered the company that runs the room and have screen shots of the abusive behavior

What is my next step, my DH says stay out of the room and I really want to take it further. I know the posters real name

Thanks and please keep your negative answers out of this

@I am still oxox

Not sure what, in your view, constitutes a negative answer. Is it if I do not agree with you?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I would be very afraid and stay the heck away and hope like heck that he finds something else to occupy his time.People can be very dangerous when they have mental health problems and it sounds like this person does.