Respected Contributor

Re: On Dateline NBC tonight....

Short of a confession, I don't think the truth will ever be known.

I doubt there is any "new" evidence after all this time.  This is one of those unfortunate cases that people will never be sure about.

I think Michael Skakel could very well be the murderer.  ONE of those neighborhood kids did this.

However, if they haven't PROVED it, he shouldn't be in jail.

I don't remember why they let him out of jail.  And I don't know what the next step is supposed to be.

You have to feel for the mother.  She has gotten a raw deal.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did not watch too late for me, what was the new evidence?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

He got out on an appeal. The judge found that he had ineffective council.  His lawyer didn't call witnesses who contradicted the claim that he had admitted t killing her.

The new evidence is a witness, not related to him, who provides him with an alibi for the time she was killed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it was his brother that did it, he should have come forward.After all these years, the family knows which one killed that girl, i smell a cover up, i think her mother has passed,she never found out for sure who killed her daughter.

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Living in CT, I have tried to follow this case closely.  I do feel so sorry for Martha's mother.  However, there is a chance that Skakel was wrongly convicted.  The Kennedy and Skakel family are not on trial.  It is one person.  There have been people wrongly convicted in a "rush to judgment."  Perhaps Skakel is one of those people.  We'll all have to wait for more evidence to be presented.  I just want justice to be served.

I don't think a conviction 27 years later is a "rush to judgement".

What I was speaking of was the pressure to find and convict after 10 years or so of nothing.  Unfortunately, that type of pressure can result in bias on the part of law enforcement and the judicial system.  

You will notice I have said I am awaiting what new evidence to be introduced.  The conviction of Skakel was not 27 years after the fact, as you will learn from accounts of this case.  All I am saying is that I want to learn any new evidence that may be presented.  Unfortunately, I guess wanting justice to served creates some hostility in some people.  Skakel or not, he deserves appeals.  Gee, this pesky system of American justice.  

I have been interested in this case for ages.  I feel the Skakels know who murdered her, not sure the public will ever be sure.  Her mother certainly believes Michael did it and she was in the courtroom. Michael Skakel's conviction was in 2002, the murder in 1975.  That is 27 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

If it was his brother that did it, he should have come forward.After all these years, the family knows which one killed that girl, i smell a cover up, i think her mother has passed,she never found out for sure who killed her daughter.

@goldensrbest    Her mother is still alive and was interviewed on Dateline the other night.  She still thinks Michael Skakel killed her daughter and should go back to jail.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest    Her mother is still alive and was interviewed on Dateline the other night.  She still thinks Michael Skakel killed her daughter and should go back to jail.

Oh, i was wrong, imagine all the pain,she has had all these years.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Living in CT, I have tried to follow this case closely.  I do feel so sorry for Martha's mother.  However, there is a chance that Skakel was wrongly convicted.  The Kennedy and Skakel family are not on trial.  It is one person.  There have been people wrongly convicted in a "rush to judgment."  Perhaps Skakel is one of those people.  We'll all have to wait for more evidence to be presented.  I just want justice to be served.

I don't think a conviction 27 years later is a "rush to judgement".

What I was speaking of was the pressure to find and convict after 10 years or so of nothing.  Unfortunately, that type of pressure can result in bias on the part of law enforcement and the judicial system.  

You will notice I have said I am awaiting what new evidence to be introduced.  The conviction of Skakel was not 27 years after the fact, as you will learn from accounts of this case.  All I am saying is that I want to learn any new evidence that may be presented.  Unfortunately, I guess wanting justice to served creates some hostility in some people.  Skakel or not, he deserves appeals.  Gee, this pesky system of American justice.  

I have been interested in this case for ages.  I feel the Skakels know who murdered her, not sure the public will ever be sure.  Her mother certainly believes Michael did it and she was in the courtroom. Michael Skakel's conviction was in 2002, the murder in 1975.  That is 27 years.

"Her mother certainly believes Michael did it and she was in the courtroom" is hardly an indictment against Skakel.  There is a good chance she is right.  But as Martha's mother, and emotions running so high when your precious young daughter is murdered, she cannot be expected to even begin to process any evidence that Skakel MAY not be the killer.  I don't where the answer lies - no one said who this blanket belonged to, whose DNA was all over this blanket, and then we have the issues of the hair on the blanket.  If you can put aside the emotion of this crime, perhaps there is more compelling evidence (one way or another) that will prove Skakel is indeed the killer or that he is innocent.  I hope this happens.  Conjecture means nothing in a court of law.  Facts, just the facts.  

Honored Contributor

Why hasn't the blanket been tested in these 27 years?