Respected Contributor

Re: On Dateline NBC tonight....

there's a new film in pre-production called "Chappaquiddick" 

Bruse Dern, (Joe) Jason Clarke (Ted) Kate Mara (MJ) Ed Helms (Gargan)(Kennedy cousin)

Principal photography starts after Labor Day this year.

The film follows what happened that night from the party that the young Kennedy and Kopechne attended, to the accident when the car driven by an allegedly drunk Kennedy plunged into the water, to the agonizing death of Kopechne and what occurred prior to Kennedy reporting the crash to the police nine hours later.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/bruce-dern-joe-kennedy-chappaquiddick-movie-1201789059/

this is an excerpt from The Last Brother.(Joe McGinniss) a close-up on Ted in the days before/after Chappaquiddick

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/12/end-of-camelot

Honored Contributor

I read the book (Murder in Greenwich by Fuhrman).  It's here somewhere, if somebody didn't 'swipe' it, lol. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

I just saw a Dateline on this subject a few weeks ago.  I feel so sorry for Martha's mother to go through this over and over again.

@Colliegirls  My sister was standing in line somewhere and chatted with the woman standing next to her.  Finally, she told the woman that she looked familiar.  The woman explained the she was Martha Moxley's mother and had been on TV a lot.  Sister said she seemed like a lovely lady.  It is too bad that this goes on and on.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Living in CT, I have tried to follow this case closely.  I do feel so sorry for Martha's mother.  However, there is a chance that Skakel was wrongly convicted.  The Kennedy and Skakel family are not on trial.  It is one person.  There have been people wrongly convicted in a "rush to judgment."  Perhaps Skakel is one of those people.  We'll all have to wait for more evidence to be presented.  I just want justice to be served.

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Living in CT, I have tried to follow this case closely.  I do feel so sorry for Martha's mother.  However, there is a chance that Skakel was wrongly convicted.  The Kennedy and Skakel family are not on trial.  It is one person.  There have been people wrongly convicted in a "rush to judgment."  Perhaps Skakel is one of those people.  We'll all have to wait for more evidence to be presented.  I just want justice to be served.

I don't think a conviction 27 years later is a "rush to judgement".

Honored Contributor

Well I certainly wasn't persuaded that Michael is innocent.

Also, the judge in recommending a new trial for Skakel is pointing the finger at his brother (who was at first a suspect) and not the two people Kennedy is convinced are the killers.   And I certainly don't think they are.

One of the most damning pieces of evidence: the golf club used to kill Moxley belonged to the Skakels.   And, of course, Michael's own words and changing his story.  I hope he goes back to jail, for the sale of poor Martha's mother.

Respected Contributor

The Kennedy's have always been great at hiding the bones, wish they'd have worked as hard for justice in Mary Jo Kopechne's and Martha Moxley's deaths as they do to save their own butts.

America's royal family my arse!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

I don't think a conviction 27 years later is a "rush to judgement".

What I was speaking of was the pressure to find and convict after 10 years or so of nothing.  Unfortunately, that type of pressure can result in bias on the part of law enforcement and the judicial system.  

You will notice I have said I am awaiting what new evidence to be introduced.  The conviction of Skakel was not 27 years after the fact, as you will learn from accounts of this case.  All I am saying is that I want to learn any new evidence that may be presented.  Unfortunately, I guess wanting justice to served creates some hostility in some people.  Skakel or not, he deserves appeals.  Gee, this pesky system of American justice.  

Honored Contributor

Seeing the photo of him as he was at the time makes it seem unlikely that he killed her. The jury never saw it which was negligent of his attorney. The witnesses who contradict those who testified that he admitted to the crime were never called. 

He deserves a new trial and, unless there is additional evidence against him, evidence not presented at his first trial,  he should be acquitted.

Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to add that I am curious to discover the DNA analysis of the two hair samples found on the blanket covering the victim's body.  Who do they belong to?  If they are a match to Skakel?  The victim?  Or some unknown person?  Assuming these samples were saved, why haven't they been offered in evidence by the prosecution?  Just curious.