Esteemed Contributor

Re: On Air Ordering by the Hosts

@RetailTherapy31 wrote:

The rules have changed. Many years ago I heard (from hosts on air) that they weren't allowed to order before presenting and they had to wait until off the air. Then I saw several asking the producers to order for them. I don't think they have their phones on set to order from, but maybe I missed something because I just haven't witnessed that.  ??

I find Carolyn genuine when she says "I hope this is available in my size ...etc", she doesn't seem to be acting and she and Jane T get very excited / enthusiastic about certain items.

Shawn and others, not so much. She frequently says "I'm getting this" and it seems like she's just trying to flatter the designer. Yet sometimes she says "I bought multiples" and I don't think she's outright lying. 

It doesn't matter in the end. It's kind of nice that the hosts who are seeing these items in person want to own them. The hard sales tactics from QVC are in the 12 e-mails I get daily. Ugh.

Carolyn and Jane are the quintessential snake oil salespeople and actors.  I don't believe either one of them.

Occasional Visitor

I have been extremely frustrated lately with this! Specifically the host Shaun Killinger who starts the presentation with, " I've already ordered this item before air in multiple colors." By the time the size chart goes up and the presentation begins the item is sold out...but at least she got hers!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imafashionista wrote:

I have been extremely frustrated lately with this! Specifically the host Shaun Killinger who starts the presentation with, " I've already ordered this item before air in multiple colors." By the time the size chart goes up and the presentation begins the item is sold out...but at least she got hers!! 

@Imafashionista   In my opinion. ...Shawn didn’t buy a darn thing.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

Which hosts are buying boats for their hubands, or sending their kids to private schools to study in Europe.  I must really be behind the times!!!

@Krimpette 

I can vouch for what @

@Spurt@blackhole99, What would be wrong with buying a boat, sending kids to private schools, to Europe or vacations?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

Which hosts are buying boats for their hubands, or sending their kids to private schools to study in Europe.  I must really be behind the times!!!

@Krimpette 

I can vouch for what @

@Spurt@blackhole99, What would be wrong with buying a boat, sending kids to private schools, to Europe or vacations?

@tiny 2 

The hosts are free to do whatever "floats their boat" (pun intended) regarding their own lives....However, taking presentation time to tell viewers all about their families  on-air while failing to provide product information (which is QVC's business) is my beef....The hosts should just share all their family stories on their Facebook Pages for their fans...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Are they really placing orders, or are they simply saying that to encouage sales.

LR was known for that. Ooohhh...I hope the black [or XXXS] doesn't sell out. When her color choice/size sold out, she repeated the same schtick about her second choice. 

It's a gimmick, and many do it.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

It's already been stated here but I'll say it again; back in the day the hosts were not allowed to purchase an item until "the audience" had the first shot at it.  If there were any left after their shift, they could order.

But that's when the Q was different.  

Honored Contributor

It is my recollection that hosts could not buy a first-time-ever-presented item (that is a new one) before it aired or on- air, giving the customers first shot at it.

But that once it aired, the next time the hosts could order it on air (since customers could have bought it online already or called in for it since its first airing). I think the "cant buy on air" for hosts rule probably originated way back when customers had to call and buy an item while it was on air.
But things changed a lot with computers when you could buy online as soon as an item went online, even before a first airing and even before a hist sees it.
Respected Contributor

I was shocked a few weeks ago at the volume Stacy said she was ordering a few weeks ago, multiple quantities and it came to over $300 !!!   I realize these hosts get a supposedly 30 percent discount but come on  they definitely live lavish lifestyles. They are completely out of touch with the lower and middle class.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2  ...... I'll answer for @Spurt . Nothing. But it isn't anything we need to know. Concentrate on the product they are trying to sell. Tell us that information instead of taking up time telling us about their personal life. Most of us do not care. They are not our friends. They are only a salesperson working for a company that we may or may not buy from.