Honored Contributor

Re: On A Lighter Note.......

@Jewel22. Hot dog has fewer syllables!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

Anyone who has ever eaten a chili dog from the famous downtown Atlanta restaurant/drive-in/carryout known as The Varsity will want a certain type of hot dog all the time.

So we do have them frequently, made at home, although we can also get them in  Athens or Marietta, GA, or at the Atlanta airport---and believe me, we've had a lot of them from all Varsity locations.  DH grew up on them.

All you need is some frankfurters, some good hot dog buns,  and a can of Hormel Chili.

The chili has to be the Hormel "hot" flavored "without beans"--or the commercially sold Varsity brand used at the restaurant.

Stuff the bun with the frankfurter, top with chili, and squirt a line of yellow mustard on the chili.

The other famous hot dogs from The Varsity include the chili/cheese/slaw dog  (my favorite)  and a few other variations. 

If you want a chili dog order  to carry out, you ask for a chili dog walkin'

@novamc1....being a native Georgian (Augusta), you are so right about that.  The VARSITY in Athens was the best.  Nothing like the VARSITY.  GO DAWGS!!! (and I mean the University of Georgia)...

Respected Contributor

Just mustard and relish....that's it.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

Just mustard and relish....that's it.

@Regal Bee  I agree!  We bought some Oscar Mayer all been nitrate free ones that were very good!  

I also like them with a lot of chili on them and a little mustard (everyone puts on too much mustard on burgers and dogs for me!).  But I won't eat one unless I have a knife and fork and a solid place to eat it on like a table top! 

A little hot sauce never hurts, and some sweet bell pepper relish is good as well! 

Honored Contributor

Best is Nathans at a store, grilled with deli mustard and kraut 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox... did you bring back some great memories! I remember when I turned 13, I wanted a birthday party at Nathan's restaurant and had  2 hot dogs with mustard, kraut and relish. Then a nice side order of fries with cheese. Topped it all off with a Coke float. It was a fun day...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I live in Westchester County NY and up until about 15 years ago there was a big Nathans in Central Ave in Yonkers, we moved back to the area in 2004 and it closed shortly after to be replaced by a CVS and a strip mall with a tiny Nathans

@Trinity11 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox... did you bring back some great memories! I remember when I turned 13, I wanted a birthday party at Nathan's restaurant and had  2 hot dogs with mustard, kraut and relish. Then a nice side order of fries with cheese. Topped it all off with a Coke float. It was a fun day...

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I am not fond of the big brands that most people love because they are so juicy and seem to have more fat in them.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

Two solutions to the juicy fat problem.

Buy the  Hebrew  National brand of reduced fat franks .....or........

If not grilling hot dogs outside, slit them down the middle a bit and heat in the microwave.  Liquid (and excess salty fat) cooks out before the franks go into the buns.  We eat them this way much of the time.

Respected Contributor

The Hebrew National reduced fat hot dogs are very good.  I like mustard and sauerkraut on mine. 

I have some in the freezer and will make one or two for lunch.  No hot dog buns but I will just use a slice of white bread like I had when I was a kid.