Honored Contributor

Doctor Zhivago star Omar Sharif has died aged 83, his agent confirmed today.

The Hollywood star is understood to have died of a heart attack at a hospital in Cairo, where he was resting after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

In May it emerged that the Egyptian born Hollywood actor had been suffering with the illness and was struggling to remember anything about his hugely successful career.

In a frank interview with Spanish media, Tarek El-Sharif, the only child of the star's marriage to ex-wife Faten Hamama, revealed that his father had started mixing up the names of his best-known films - Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia - and often forgot where they were filmed.

Scroll down for video

Tragic: Doctor Zhivago star Omar Sharif is understood to have died of a heart attack at a hospital in his native Cairo where he was resting after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
+3
Tragic: Doctor Zhivago star Omar Sharif is understood to have died of a heart attack at a hospital in his native Cairo where he was resting after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156305/Doctor-Zhivago-star-Omar-Sharif-dies-aged-83-sufferi...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156305/Doctor-Zhivago-star-Omar-Sharif-dies-aged-83-sufferi...

Honored Contributor

Another great actor that will be missed.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

A wonderful (and handsome) actor, I loved Dr. Zhivago.

I read last spring he was suffering; now he can rest in peace.

Respected Contributor

I saw this earlier and my heart sunk. He was one of my favorite actors. Such a handsome and elegant man. May he RIP. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

He always had the most soulful eyes

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Doctor Zhivago star Omar Sharif has died aged 83, his agent confirmed today.

The Hollywood star is understood to have died of a heart attack at a hospital in Cairo, where he was resting after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

In May it emerged that the Egyptian born Hollywood actor had been suffering with the illness and was struggling to remember anything about his hugely successful career.

In a frank interview with Spanish media, Tarek El-Sharif, the only child of the star's marriage to ex-wife Faten Hamama, revealed that his father had started mixing up the names of his best-known films - Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia - and often forgot where they were filmed.

Scroll down for video

+3

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156305/Doctor-Zhivago-star-Omar-Sharif-dies-aged-83-sufferi...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156305/Doctor-Zhivago-star-Omar-Sharif-dies-aged-83-sufferi...

This is so very sad.  It was one where I gasped when I read it, and it's not often that I do that.  Omar Sharif was such and underrated actor.  He always gave such fine performances in every movie.  Of course, I loved Doctor Zhivago, and it had great personal meaning to me at the time.  I was very young, not yet 30 and my mother had just died at age 49.  The very first scene of the funeral affected me so deeply.  Plus the story itself of course, of a great love affair.  Oddly, I never saw Lawrence of Arabia, but I saw him in other movies and I always admired his portrayals.

I am very sad at this news.  They are all dying, and I'm talking about my generation, as I am 77.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Contributor

The last I 'heard' of him was when he slapped a female reporter in the face at a red carpet event. Can't unring THAT bell!  It was awful!!!!

Honored Contributor
I actually would have thought he was older than early 80s. I was a Zhivago fan.
Honored Contributor
msmeerkat, I don't remember that. Wow.
Honored Contributor

@Msmeerkat wrote:

The last I 'heard' of him was when he slapped a female reporter in the face at a red carpet event. Can't unring THAT bell!  It was awful!!!!

He was also suffering from Alzeheimers and that could have had something to do with it. It can make  people violent at times