Respected Contributor

Maybe I should put this under sports but it isn't about the game.

I was wondering who decides what the  "uniform" should be?  Why do the female players where skimpy halter tops and bikini (almost thong) bottoms and the men wear tank tops and shorts?  Can the players decide what to wear?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Olympics Beach Volley Ball

There has been a lot of discussion about this on the news lately. The girls complained the outfits are too skimpy, they felt exposed, and also uncomfortable. They played in longer shorts in qualifying and either the IOC or the USOC said they had to go back to the bikini style outfits.  Lots of info out there if you want to see more. The outfits they are wearing now seem even skimpier than previous Olympics...thing-like bottoms and smaller tops....they are always adjusting something up or down. I don't know why they have to hug each other after every single play either. Seems weird to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ratings. Ratings.  Ratings.  Oh, and sexist.  sexist. sexist. 

Respected Contributor

@Winkk Thank you for posting this. I thought I was just being a prude, but I cannot believe how skimpy these uniforms are.

Esteemed Contributor

Those skimpy bottoms are insane, and frankly I can't believe these women have put up with it for this long.  They should ALL boycott or do whatever they have to do to get the rules changed. I am uncomfortable watching them play volley ball.  It is almost soft p0rn.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips  I agree 100%.  In fact, I just change the channel when they are on the air.  

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I was wondering who decides what the  "uniform" should be? 

MALES on the Olympic committee. whistling.gif

Why do the female players where skimpy halter tops and bikini (almost thong) bottoms

Higher "male" viewership.

Can the players decide what to wear?

Some sports allow.  Female gymnist can wear full leotards.  Con:  Serious camel toe. Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I decided to Google this and there has been quite a bit written about it.  But, it seems some of the female players like them.  They said not as much sand accumulates  and less adjusting.  I'll take their word on it because it seems to me shorts would be more comfortable.

But, I never played beach volley ball so what do I know.

Honored Contributor

I saw this topic on Lester Holt's newscast the other day and could not believe it.  The PTB are actually requiring the women to wear those bikini bottoms????  Seriously??  IMO each team should choose what they want to wear.  Can't believe that some of the athletes haven't rebelled against this although I think the German team wore a very different outfit.

Contributor

Spoiler

I have read that too, that some athletes prefer them. I wil take their word, as I never had an athletic figure where I had no thigh rub .