Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic surfer Katherine Diaz killed by lightning

So very sad. I am sure her country and family are grieving, such a young life full of hope!RIP!

Honored Contributor

From my own experiences, even at her young age, she died doing what she loved. I hope I am as fortunate.  🏄‍♂️

Athletics can become a big part of one's life, and many of them come with risks. Some with many more than others.  I personally feel she took an unnecessary risk, but I am not at an Olympic level, never have been. Not for me to judge.

It's a very sad story to read and my condolences to her family and all those that loved this young athlete.

hckynut  🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I mentally freak when I see storm clouds and people on beaches or farmers working in the fields. Just want to yell at them to get inside. How terribly sad for this young athlete.

Honored Contributor

DRY lightning is fairly common in the American Southwest.    The articles I read said Ms. Diaz was surfing in good weather.....no mention if it was an "unseen" storm.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

So sad.  At least she was doing something she clearly loved.

I just hate that (and that's not a dig at @Kalli). I'm pretty sure she DIDN'T "love" getting killed by a bolt of lightning. 

Honored Contributor

A series of electrical storms hit the area. She was struck while she was still in the water, and onlookers reportedly tried to help her until the paramedics arrived. According to the Olympic Channel, Diaz could not be revived and died on the beach.

Via the Olympic Channel, the Spanish news paper AS reported that according to the Salvadoran Surf Federation, "the sky was clear and it was an unforeseen storm that did not seem to carry much electrical intensity either."

via yahoo sports

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

This is so sad 😢 .... may she RIP 🌹

Honored Contributor

Lightning is dangerous..such a sad story. May she rest in peace
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I hate that phrase " they died doing what they loved". (not meant to criticize any poster here, lots of people say that).

First of all, young people shouldn't die, period.

Secondly, I love shopping but that doesn't mean I want to croak in Tiffanys.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

I hate that phrase " they died doing what they loved". (not meant to criticize any poster here, lots of people say that).

First of all, young people shouldn't die, period.

Secondly, I love shopping but that doesn't mean I want to croak in Tiffanys.

@colliegirls 

I said this in my other post in this thread, along with my comment to experience the same. It would be an ideal world if all the elders died before those younger, but life is life.

Guess I never thought of shopping as a Sport, much less at the Olympic level. Shopping in my world is like food, a necessity. If that is really a "love" for you, may you have endless funds to be able to do so.

Since athletics has been a big part of my pretty long life, and still is when it comes be on ice skates. I just maybe see that use of words differently than you.

I do not take it as criticism, more like a your comment. The story is very sad and by saying what I did, my intent was not to diminish the sorrow of this tragedy.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)