Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic surfer Katherine Diaz killed by lightning

This is sad.  Praying for her family and friends. It sounds like she lived her life with passion and dedication.  

Respected Contributor

My favorite pastime is an activity that can be very dangerous. Add to that the fact that due to my age, I could be in increased danger doing it. But I love it so I had to make a choice. Either stop doing it and be safe but unfulfilled, sad, and depressed, or accept the risk, do what I can to be as safe as possible and continue doing what I enjoy.

And so I believe that for ME, maybe not everyone, if something happens to me while I’m riding my horse, at least I was doing what I love and was very happy doing it. 

Life has lots of choices. People who willingly participate in activities that hold an element of danger often make that choice because it’s something they love doing. And it’s something that makes them whole. I can’t explain it any other way and I mean no offense to anyone here.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Kalli

Very informative post describing what a love for certain activities mean to us. I really think only those that continue with their high risk activities, at an older age can truly understand. I am sure you have many your age say "why"? You explain it and many just shake their heads.

My sis is almost 6 years my senior and her love of riding has not diminished. I haven't talked with her for awhile, but I'd be surprised if she isn't back riding after her knee replacement surgery. It is very risky, but her life has evolved around horses as far back as I can remember.

I meet many at the ice rink that ask me "aren't you afraid of falling"? My reply is always: "if I were afraid I would not be here". Because for those proficient at skating, many watching view it as easy, until!  They put on a pair of skates and find out how physically hard it is to skate.

It will be 2 weeks ago tomorrow when I fell. Ended up with a cracked left rib and punctured left lung. Spent 2 days in the hospital hoping the air that leakef outside my lung would dissipate. If not? Chest tube!

I missed my regular Sunday skate because I did not feel I could breathe well enough to be able to skate. I did however return the following Wednesday to skate again, and again last Sunday.

Risky? Of course it is, but I slowed down my normal type of skating to match my ability to breathe. Will be going again tomorrow and let my body decide what level I am able to skate. Even my wife thinks I am nuts, but she "gets it".

Safe riding to you and also stay well,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut , yikes! Glad you’re ok and skating again, but of course, I’d be shocked if you weren’t! I knew you’d understand my previous comments. We do what we do because it lifts us up and makes us whole. It’s part of who we are and that will never change.

I clearly remember your sister telling me there’s nothing that would ever prevent her from riding. It’s great that she’s  continuing to enjoy it. Being back in the saddle is therapy for us horse crazy gals! 😁 Please tell her I said hello.

btw, my gelding and I now have 2 round pen sessions done. Today I dragged out the old tarp and threw it up on his back. I do believe, if it’s possible, he actually rolled his eyes at me when I did that.  Like he was saying, “Seriously? You really think this scares me?” 🤣🤣🤣