Honored Contributor

Olympic surfer Katherine Diaz killed by lightning

OK this does happen to pro surfers who go out in the water in all kind of coniditons.  Her name was Katherine Diaz, who was representing El Salvador. . She was killed while out in the water, training.  She was 22.  I think this happened at the very beginng of a storm.  The most dangerous time for a thunderstorm is at the beginning. Often there is no warning, the clouds are heavy with static. etc.  And there is a bolt of lightning.  She was thrown by the force of the lightning and the board and she died instantly.  I didn't know there was an Olympic sports for surfing.  It is a world wide sport.  It makes it debut in Japan in 2021 (it was supposed to be in 2020)

Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic surfer Katherine Diaz killed by lightning

It is always sad to hear of a life cut short at such a young age.

Esteemed Contributor

What a shame.  

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

How sad for such a young athlete, who should have had so much life ahead of her, to pass that way.

I had never heard of a surfer being struck by lightening before, but it certainly makes sense that it's a risk, along with many other dangers, as well.

I'm sure her country is grieving. RIP Katherine.

Honored Contributor

may she rest in peace.....this is very sad.

this is why in our area of the beach they make everyone get out of the water (oceans and pools) and off the beach when there is a thunderstorm. if they lifeguards are there they strictly enforce it also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

This is so very sad. Many people don't realize how dangerous surfing is. I only hope it can bring awareness to the dangers of lightning and storms, especially on the beach and water. I have lived at the beach and am amazed by so many people that stay out on the beach or water during a storm. And not many people know but it is most dangerous before the storm when you don't even know lightning is near. It can travel very quickly.

Honored Contributor

When and where did this happen? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

When and where did this happen? 

playa el tunco, el salvador

it happened this past friday.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/22/katherine-diaz-surfer-killed-lightening-strike-el-salvador/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

So sad 😢!! 

Respected Contributor

So sad.  At least she was doing something she clearly loved.  Still, when these things happen it always makes me grieve for the loss of someone with so much of her life ahead of her.

My son used to surf for fun.  I worried more about sharks than lightning.  He and friends used to surf at night and he'd always wonder what was below him while paddling along.  For him to even admit that, it made me worry all the more.  Part of being a mom that never goes away no matter how old our "kids" get.