Respected Contributor

Re: Olympic opening ceremony

These athletes deserve their Olympic moment, regardless of whether there is an audience or not.  So much can change in 4 years, even when you're young.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Is anyone watching? Very compelling and beautiful opening ceremony. 

@50Mickey 

I have it recorded, glad to hear it's quite good.  I saw a half hour of tennis and biking live.  At least, I think it was live, but the time zones are way off.   The countryside route for the biking was quite stunning.

Trusted Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

It's wonderful! I love it! I love everything Olympic!

It's fabulous that these ceremonies are being held!

AGREE totally!

Respected Contributor

yes,I love the Olympics also but I disagree with it being this yr.to dangerous if you ask me.if I was a athlete who wasn't vaccinated, I would be terrified of getting covid.no everyone,I think this was a very bad decision

Esteemed Contributor

It was sad seeing the empty stadium at first.  Of all openings, this was the most sensitive.  I just loved the drones forming the world image.  I thought the moment of silence at the beginning set the tone.  The ceremony was as only Japan could have done it.  I visited Japan a couple of years ago and they were so excited to host the Olympics & perhaps, Japan is the only Country that could provide a venue as safe as it could be in these times.  It's a very orderly, beautiful and clean country. 

It's not an ideal time but yes, athletes prepare for a long time to get to the Olympics and detaining it for a year was the right thing to do last year.  It wasn't this year.  Covid is not going away any time soon but some of the athletes may.  Some might be too old to compete in the future  or may not be able to maintain the same level for such a long time .  It's also very expensive to train for that one moment & often a hardship.  There may not be another chance for this particular group.  Even if an athlete doesn't win, they will all remember the special and difficult time in the world.  It makes the experience much more significant 

I hope none of them get Covid.  I know there have been positive cases but I haven't heard of anyone getting sick.  They are strong and healthy and if they test positive, should be ok.   There are strict protocols in place and that's the best that can be done.  There is also the matter of personal responsibility as with all of us.   I saw a few US athletes screaming with masks off.  Also most likely, US athletes have a higher vaccination rate.  It would have been good to have vaccination mandatory to compete but there would be disparity as some nations do not have vaccines readily available to them. 

we can't stay under a rock for the rest of our days.  To have the Olympics at this time, under these circumstances gives us hope and maybe the realization that humankind has a common enemy, Covid.  I think the theme of unity is more relevant & poignant during this Olympics & the opening ceremony simple, sensitive really displayed that.

The Athletes seemed happy to be there and to compete and that's the most important thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

proxy-image-1.gif

Love him! 

Esteemed Contributor

I tried to watch the opening, but it was just too long and frankly a bit boring.   Maybe less ceremony and get to lighting the flame!  Talked to several family members and friends - they said the same....

Trusted Contributor

I used to love the Olympics, but I'm not watching now, in protest.  I think it's a disgraceful public health hazard for the entire world.  It should have been canceled.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

For me, the Olympics has lost most of its luster over the years. I don't watch much and probably will watch even less this time around, if at all. I did turn on the opening ceremonies just to see how they handled it. The drone display was impressive but otherwise, pretty boring and sort of discouraging. All those mostly young people in masks filing in to an essentially empty hall. I usually enjoy seeing what the athletes from the various countries look like but that wasn't much of an option. All the planning and expense on the part of Tokyo for such a limited return. It's not for me to say whether it should have been cancelled or not, but it all just seemed sort of empty, in more ways than one.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think it was fine to go ahead with the Olympics. If they cancelled it this year, they would have to keep on cancelling it, as the virus isn't going anywhere. 

Maybe some people would like the Olympics eliminated forever; I don't know. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain