Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic beach volleyball

@hckynut wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

Does anyone else find this a little disgusting......why is it that in beach volleyball the men wear tank tops and shorts to their knees and the women wear skimpy bikinis w/their rears hanging out?  I don't know, I'm old and just don't see the need to exploit women's bodies that way.  The reason I will not watch women's beach volleyball.  Just my opinion, folks.

I do not see it as exploiting anything but these lady's talents. Seen more uncovered skin in a shopping mall. Do you have an explanation for those that dress this way(are they exploiting themselves)?

Just my opinion, along with a question.

Thank you

Maybe I have biased and old-fashioned views, but to be very honest:  Yes, I think women in very bare clothing do exploit themselves.  I think that tactic is a lot of what keeps women from breaking the glass ceiling, and getting more respect in a lot of offices and sports venues.  But women are doing it to themselves basing competition of many types on looks, clothing choices, etc.  Sometimes women hold other qualified and talented women back by doing this. . . I'm sure I'll be bashed for that.  

I think men compete more on the basis of what they are doing, i.e. sports, business, more often than women.  Women often compete on a more I guess "personal" basis.  Men seem to be more comfortable with competition among other men and can still get along better as people.  At least most of them I've been around.

I mean really when you are out there with your butt hanging out, what do you think is getting the attention?  Your serves or your behind?  I think if they wanted to be seen first and foremost as great athletes, they would wear more clothes.  It's no like you can't play beach vollyball with a pair of little shorts and a tank top.  "BUTT" that isn't what they want to do. . . and no I DO NOT think the choice is made by men.  They aren't forced to wear this. 

I am not terribly distressed by all of this, but in general I think it simply reinforces the objectifying of women on the basis of their looks. . . 

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I remember this topic came up during the last Olympics.   Lol

They wear what they want to wear.   If they were uncomfortable, they wouldn't wear it.  

BTW, the men's diving athletes wear the skimpiest little Speedos.  Women wear one-piece suits.  I don't hear anyone complaining about that.  Lol

personally, i think that it is great that the INTERNATIONAL VOLLEYBALL FEDERATION gives them such a wide range of clothing choices! if you are doing your job, you do want to be comfortable while doing your best. GO TEAM USA!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am much more disgusted with the Carl's Jr.'s Burger Commercials..... their most recent three way burger commercial. 

The women playing Volley Ball look to be very fit and in shape... I've not noticed

anything falling out of their suits any differently from the women on the Olympic

swim team and the gymnasts doing their routines.  

@Patriot3 wrote:

Does anyone else find this a little disgusting......why is it that in beach volleyball the men wear tank tops and shorts to their knees and the women wear skimpy bikinis w/their rears hanging out?  I don't know, I'm old and just don't see the need to exploit women's bodies that way.  The reason I will not watch women's beach volleyball.  Just my opinion, folks.

wimsuits or Olympics

Gymnists have going on with their suits.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@annie315 wrote:
So why aren't the men of volleyball wearing speedos and going bare chested?

The men usually go go bare-chested for beach volleyball.  Not sure why they aren't this time.  I've never seen them wear Speedos - why should they?

It is Winter in Brazil and I heard them say it can chilly at night.  

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I read or heard that this is not regular beach sand.  It's a different kind of sand that doesn't stick to their skin.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

I do not see it as exploiting anything but these lady's talents. Seen more uncovered skin in a shopping mall. Do you have an explanation for those that dress this way(are they exploiting themselves)?

Thank you

Maybe I have biased and old-fashioned views, but to be very honest:  Yes, I think women in very bare clothing do exploit themselves.  I think that tactic is a lot of what keeps women from breaking the glass ceiling, and getting more respect in a lot of offices and sports venues.  But women are doing it to themselves basing competition of many types on looks, clothing choices, etc.  Sometimes women hold other qualified and talented women back by doing this. . . I'm sure I'll be bashed for that.  

I think men compete more on the basis of what they are doing, i.e. sports, business, more often than women.  Women often compete on a more I guess "personal" basis.  Men seem to be more comfortable with competition among other men and can still get along better as people.  At least most of them I've been around.

I mean really when you are out there with your butt hanging out, what do you think is getting the attention?  Your serves or your behind?  I think if they wanted to be seen first and foremost as great athletes, they would wear more clothes.  It's no like you can't play beach vollyball with a pair of little shorts and a tank top.  "BUTT" that isn't what they want to do. . . and no I DO NOT think the choice is made by men.  They aren't forced to wear this. 

I am not terribly distressed by all of this, but in general I think it simply reinforces the objectifying of women on the basis of their looks. . . 

@Sooner  "what do you think is getting the attention?  Your serves or your behind"?  IMO, I'd say a very equal share of both!  They are used to wearing bikini bottoms.  I think  a short brief would be something they'd have to get used to, and would probably find it more irritating than a bikini bottom riding up.  

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

Thank you

@Sooner  "what do you think is getting the attention?  Your serves or your behind"?  IMO, I'd say a very equal share of both!  They are used to wearing bikini bottoms.  I think  a short brief would be something they'd have to get used to, and would probably find it more irritating than a bikini bottom riding up.  

I don't think it is about comfort.  I think it is about how you want people to see you and what you want them to see.  It's up to them certainly. 

Respected Contributor

Olympic athletes will wear whatever will help them win the gold.  Why on earth would Kerri Walsh Jennings and April Ross CHOOSE to wear something that makes them uncomfortable?  If they're uncomfortable, they won't do their best.  The only conclusion is that they aren't uncomfortable at all and some people need to get out of 1950.

Honored Contributor

Haven't seen any beach volleyball this Olympics, but I know DH was watching.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Haven't seen any beach volleyball this Olympics, but I know DH was watching.

You should watch -- they're beasts.