Trusted Contributor

Re: Olivia Not Speaking To Her Parents Over College Admissions Scandal

@bathina wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Lots of dysfunction in these hoity-toity families.  If Olivia didn't know, she is even dumber than I first thought. 

Yes! And I'd place a bet that Olivia is completely clueless. Thank.goodness teenage girls grow up.

Obviously not all of them!

Respected Contributor

Olivia and Bella may not been privy to the bribe the parents made but surely they had to have questioned why they were made to pose for the rowing photo(s).

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Lots of dysfunction in these hoity-toity families.  If Olivia didn't know, she is even dumber than I first thought. 

Yes! And I'd place a bet that Olivia is completely clueless. Thank.goodness teenage girls grow up.

@bathinaApparently some don't grow up, like the mothers.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama 

I have no sympathy for the parents or the spoiled child. I was raised with privilege but also with personal responsibility. It can be done if the parents are smart, truly child-focused, and wise.

Honored Contributor

Why all this fighting over whether Olivia knew or not???  It doesn't matter.

The point is she was admitted to this college with no merit; the parent(s) paid for something their children had not earned.

And that's the crux of the matter-the entitlement.

Honestly I find it almost as though some are seriously salivating over this.   As wrong as I also think this whole issue is, Olivia isn't the only one who had a benefit ( one of many most likely) of having parents with boku bucks.

Madam DeFarge will now commence knitting.

So Olivia isn't speaking to her parents.  So what.  Let them worry about their family and let others worry about their own.

All this sandbox fighting is going nowhere.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Thanks @Cakers3  I think you've summed it up really well.

Unfortunately in cases like this, a fine and a slap on the wrist doesn't adequately punish the wrongdoers because the fine is never relative to their vast wealth. That in turn does nothing to discourage other rich families from commiting these crimes in the future.

I am one of many people that hopes the punishment fits the crime.

I don't think there's any hope for OJ and others like her.  Spoiled. Shallow.  False sense of entitlement. Not taught right from wrong. Poor upbringing.

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

does anyone really believe these kids didnt know??

Me. I don't believe the kids knew. 

@bathina  Nor do I. Based on the videos that Olivia posted, I doubt she knew or cared anything in regard to college. This was her parent's dream clearly not hers.

Why her parents didn't just encourage her to pursue a career in where her interests are, I guess I do not understand...

She was said to make $400 thousand a year, certainly enough to live a lifestyle similar to what she is used to..

She's lost all her endorsements, as she should.  I guess Sephora and the others agreed.   No more 400K/yr for now. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, Poor thing. lol

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I read an interesting, very detailed article in the LA Times yesterday, it starts at the top with the guy that was being investigated in a stocks scandal. If you are interested I see it is still on the front page of the Times titled

"The bizaar story of the LA dad who exposed the college admissions scandal".

Honored Contributor

I don't think many care about what she's doing.

I would be hiding out if my parents were under the scope for trying to bribe someone to get me in a prestigious college.

How embarrassing???

Everyone probably thinking what dummies these girls are. They could not get in to these colleges on their own. If the can't they don't deserve to be there.