Honored Contributor

Re: Olivia Not Speaking To Her Parents Over College Admissions Scandal

I'm not so sure anymore what's worse -- this scandal that opened a window on those who think that wealth gives them immunity for basic decency and the law or those who seem to relish their moral high ground over and over in gleeful disdain.

Oh, the joys of having such a perfect object for our shadenfreude.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

When I think of how hard my own kids worked to earn scholarships and work actual jobs during the summers so they could go to good schools....I can have zero sympathy for dear little Olivia. I wonder if she will be spending the weekend on her friend’s yacht....you know, the trustee? The worst is that she doesn’t seem to have learned anything from this..,,maybe if her parents went to prison that would help..,or would she still be the victim?
Esteemed Contributor

I often wonder about a person's character when they find such joy in another's misfortune.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

They got caught ,if there is joy in us about that, i see nothing wrong with that , THEY DID THE WRONG.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

What a brat!  She better develop a thick skin because life is not easy and we do not always get what we want.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Maybe she should disown them and try supporting herself. 

The rich and famous do their kids no favors in the long run if they don’t teach them to get by on their own merit and hard work. 

@GenXmuse   But Olivia doesn't want to work hard.....she just wanted the party experience of college.  Yes, for Olivia life is one big party, funded by her parents.  The girl just wants to have fun.

Well, yes, that was kind of my point. 

Esteemed Contributor

Like so many others, I take no joy in this whole academic scandal soap opera.  I am disgusted by it and feel sadness for the decline in ethics I read about.  The motive I personally feel for this ugly truth coming to light is not revenge. It is justice.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'm not so sure anymore what's worse -- this scandal that opened a window on those who think that wealth gives them immunity for basic decency and the law or those who seem to relish their moral high ground over and over in gleeful disdain.

Oh, the joys of having such a perfect object for our shadenfreude.

@suzyQ3 

What would Madame DeFarge say?

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

In disgusted by the vilification of a 19 year old kid who's only crime was to be born into privilege. None of us know what this kid knew and she has been charged with NOTHING. Talk about paying for the sins of the father (or mother as it were). I can think of several adult children of high profile rich men who also benefited from the illegally gotten gains of their parents. But crickets there. Put the focus on the parents. AND use sources that aren't tabloid.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

In disgusted by the vilification of a 19 year old kid who's only crime was to be born into privilege. None of us know what this kid knew and she has been charged with NOTHING. Talk about paying for the sins of the father (or mother as it were). I can think of several adult children of high profile rich men who also benefited from the illegally gotten gains of their parents. But crickets there. Put the focus on the parents. AND use sources that aren't tabloid.

@bathina I understand what you're saying but now that she knows how this whole thing transpired, now that she knows she took the spot of someone else who was more deserving, she needs to grow up, take responsibility in her role, and apologize.  That's the right thing to do.