Respected Contributor

Re: Olivia Not Speaking To Her Parents Over College Admissions Scandal

Now they hired their little princess a spin doctor. Good one! lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Helping your children, isn't the same thing as trying to bribe people, to give them a free ride

I feel very sorry some ( I hope )deserving young person, lost out on a place in this college, because of lying, and  bribery by this family.

They should have seen that the child had tutors, and then got into a school on merit ,and not by devious means

Raise your children well, and that means allowing them to see what happens if you don't apply yourself in life

The NYT has a great article about this

Honored Contributor

Maybe she should disown them and try supporting herself. 

The rich and famous do their kids no favors in the long run if they don’t teach them to get by on their own merit and hard work. 

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Since neither of her parents have the moral compass to instruct her, maybe those of us who weren’t born into privilege can help:

Dear Olivia,

I’m sorry you weren’t raised by adults with a conscience.  It is now time to grow up and accept your responsibility in this sordid scheme. You were part of it. Even if you didn’t initiate it, you went along with it for your own gain.  In so doing, you conspired to use your class and privilege to prevent a deserving student from entering this prestigious university. Yes, by participating in this deceit, you took the spot of a much more accomplished student and denied that person something they’d worked very hard to achieve.

First, ADMIT what you did was wrong!  Second, stand up and APOLOGIZE!  Do it now and there just may be hope for you yet.  

Yours truly,

The rest of us who’ve proudly worked hard for what we have

Perfection!!  Thank you!  There is no way that she didn't play a part in this whole thing.  The public is not stupid.  

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Maybe she should disown them and try supporting herself. 

The rich and famous do their kids no favors in the long run if they don’t teach them to get by on their own merit and hard work. 

@GenXmuse   But Olivia doesn't want to work hard.....she just wanted the party experience of college.  Yes, for Olivia life is one big party, funded by her parents.  The girl just wants to have fun.

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne ....Go Fund Me!!  For What?

Honored Contributor

Remember,the rich get out of trouble, so wait and see if parents have to do any time,in prison,want to take bets?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Since neither of her parents have the moral compass to instruct her, maybe those of us who weren’t born into privilege can help:

Dear Olivia,

I’m sorry you weren’t raised by adults with a conscience.  It is now time to grow up and accept your responsibility in this sordid scheme. You were part of it. Even if you didn’t initiate it, you went along with it for your own gain.  In so doing, you conspired to use your class and privilege to prevent a deserving student from entering this prestigious university. Yes, by participating in this deceit, you took the spot of a much more accomplished student and denied that person something they’d worked very hard to achieve.

First, ADMIT what you did was wrong!  Second, stand up and APOLOGIZE!  Do it now and there just may be hope for you yet.  

Yours truly,

@Kalli 

I believe I just heard a heavy sigh, followed by tongue cluck, and a "WHATEVER!"

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

Dear Olivia,

Yours truly,

@Kalli 

I believe I just heard a heavy sigh, followed by tongue cluck, and a "WHATEVER!"

@QueenDanceALot @Yeah, I know.  Since her parents modeled the whole “We’re better than everyone else...” POV, there’s little hope she’ll accept responsibility for any of this. 

Esteemed Contributor

Olivia Jade already had a very successful Youtube channel with close to 2 million subscribers (which has grown even since the scandal) making around $400,000 a year in views which probably doubles or triples with endorsements and collaborations. It's not Lori Laughlin rich, but then how rich was Lori at age 19?

Youtube is making a lot of young people very wealthy. Look at  David Dobrick, Emma Chamberlain (who burps and farts her way into the millionaire's club at age 17), The Dolan Twins, and the list goes on and on and on...

It was interesting to read the link in this thread about Candice Cameron Bure's daughter and "how different they are" especially on the heels on Bure's speech at the Kid's Choice awards where the entire cast of Fuller House showed their support for Lori Laughlin. Truth be told we wouldn't have thought any differently of Lori's parental choices only a few weeks ago since neither Olivia nor her sister, Isabella, were known for getting into trouble before all this came to light. 

Isabella has come out and stated that she wants to keep her "well earned place" at USC ( I know, but that's what she said Smiley Surprised) which tells me she must be making the grades to make a statement like that. Do I agree the admission was "well earned?" No, but I do think she's been there attending classes and doing well enough to want to continue. I'm not sure she will get that opportunity now.

All that said, do I think Olivia and Isabella are guilt free in this scandal? Absolutely not!  But I also think that these decisions, made by their parents when the girls were still minors, gives them a bit more room for understanding than their full grown, adult (supposed) parental role models.

I agree @silkyk who wrote earlier that this "tiff" between Olivia and her parents is nothing more than the behind the scenes puppeteering of a well paid reputation rehabilitation agent. Maybe they think it will be easier for her to get back in with the Youtube crowd being a victim deserving of sympathy and, from I've seen of Youtube, it could go either way. If a few of the "It" kids support her (which they seem to be) she may do okay. 

I also agree with the letter written by @Kalli in that it would be a nice look for both girls to accept some responsibility and offer an apology. It would be especially nice is those gestures turned out to be sincere. However, at this point with the upcoming trial, they may not be allowed to say much publicly. IDK.