Honored Contributor

I like them except they are too high in sodium.  So, I eat fresh avocados instead. My husband loves them on top of his salads.

Esteemed Contributor

No, not a fan, but so many here are singing their praises that maybe it's time to give them another chance. Noel was pretty convincing with the martini suggestion, I usually go for a lemon peel, but why not be daring?

Marinated in EVOO and garlic sounded pretty good too.

Respected Contributor

Yes!  Ever since I was a kid. All kinds-green, black, stuffed or not.  I grew up with both green and black olives as a staple on a relish tray.  

Perfection in a Bloody Mary!

I cook with them a lot too.

Fresh green beans with green olives and walnuts is delicious.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

YES!  I have a spaghetti I make with olives, meatloaf, I put them in salads - yum!!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

No, not a fan, but so many here are singing their praises that maybe it's time to give them another chance. Noel was pretty convincing with the martini suggestion, I usually go for a lemon peel, but why not be daring?

Marinated in EVOO and garlic sounded pretty good too.

@SusieQ_2

I used to like a martini when we were socializing.  Nice and chilled, not too much to drink, and the classy look of an olive soaking up the flavor.  Then the kid started begging for my olive, and if DH made drinks, he'd want the olive.  It got so I had to have three on a pick, even if they all didn't get into the juice, so to speak Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

YES!  I have a spaghetti I make with olives, meatloaf, I put them in salads - yum!!

@PurpleBunny

I love black olives in sapghetti!

Respected Contributor

Re: Olives ~ yea or ???

[ Edited ]

Hi, Molly, I love olives, calamata black olives especially, and I don't like the ones with the pits removed.

If you like them, they are healthy and versatile ingredients.  Most US olives are not that good.  Greece and Spain and Italy and France, where the growing conditions are legislated, are the ones I buy.  Same for olive oils.  It's (in moderation) a good oil that increases "good chloresterol." 

Better than beans, which I like and are healthy, but which are not as digestible for me. 

Love my olives.  Don't buy them without pits, though the pits are hard to remove.  The pitted olives have very diminished taste.

ETA:  My family is VERY negative about olives, so I suppress them when they are visiting.  I get the aversion, I used to have it myself.  Try calamata if you want to test your aversion.  To this day I cannot buy the salty ones with pimentos in them.  That's not what I mean.  And the canned black olives are awful as well.

Fresh Greek olives, or France or Italy, with more flavor in the black ones than the green ones.  Great in tomato/pasta sauce, and not over the top.  The black olives are the mushrooms of the olive world.  They are a matrix for flavor but themselves are not strongly salted or flavored.

Respected Contributor

LHeartVE olives, especially kalamata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I don't really like them.

Valued Contributor

Grossness!  I can still remember that taste from decades agoSmiley Very Happy