Esteemed Contributor

Re: Olive Garden Manager in Kansas Fired for

@skatting44 wrote:

I worked with a nurse who called in sick  once or twice a month  which went on for years. Her Father was a Doctor in the same hospital so of course nothing was said .

Many of us co workers were on the receiving end of her  calling in . More than once , after working 3:30-12MN , I had to work 12MN-8am since she did not show up . I had a young child at home , it was a good thing that I had a husband to take care of my child .

I had to stay awake all night- no cat nap . It was the worst.

If people are really ill or have sinck children that's one thing but there are some people who call in to take an extra day off ..... I have no time for those sort of people

@skatting44 Of course they do take advantage.  That's why good companies offer good work, life balance programs for their employees.  The hospitality industry might be that way and even this company (Darden) might be that way, but this particular Franchisee/Manager or whatever chose to do things differently.  Only someone who is in the know at Darden would understand how they do things.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I don't believe everything I hear or read, in fact I trust very little of it.

I've spent 25 years in hospitality.  I don't have any trouble believing it.

Everyone is hiring.  Treating adults like adults goes a long way to retaining them.  If my manager posted this diatribe, I'd have job cooking on the line or serving tables within 48 hours.

I agree @RollTide2008 .  They are front line workers who have to have people breathing on them and get most of the flack from the public.  Besides unless you're management material these restaurant jobs are not likely long term positions.  High turnover rates for these kinds of jobs.

My teenage sons works for an independent restaurant.  His second week there he got strep throat.  His boss's response when he called off?  "Feel better soon.  If you need Friday off too let me know".  

I would never tell an employee to come to work sick.  I have worked in many large multinational companies in various industries and in non profit organizations.  We were told to bring a doctor's note if we were out sick when you returned to work.  The problem with this is that you don't always run to the doc when you're sick.  Why come in and make others' sick?  Especially during these times @RollTide2008 !

I'm glad your sons work for people who are compassionate and understand life happens as we go.....

This is about employees that use illness as an excuse over & over not to show up & that puts a huge burden on the employees that do, they have to do extra work.  I understand that managers frustration, you hire someone & then they work when they feel like it & think it's acceptable, it isn't...it's bad for businesses, reliable employees & customers.

Well, I disagree.  If that were true, then the manager would not have been fired.  The Powers That Be at Darden would not have fired the manager @kitcat51 .  At leas that's my thinking.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   Basically, the only difference between state regulations is in timelines.  Since a federal tax is used to to fund the program, basic regulations are set by the US Department of Labor.  You can't collect benefit when guilty of work-related misconduct in any state.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Basically, the only difference between state regulations is in timelines.  Since a federal tax is used to to fund the program, basic regulations are set by the US Department of Labor.  You can't collect benefit when guilty of work-related misconduct in any state.

Some states are more generous with what they approve on appeal.  

Trusted Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SloopJohnB  21st century husband(s) are not always "male." whistling.gif

Ok.....I always hear same sex couples refer to their spouses as wives if they are both female and husbands if they are both males.  

You are entirely correct. Two women married to each other are both wives and refer to their spouse as their wife. Two men who are spouses are both husbands to each other and are called husbands. 

It's not complicated. These terms used are just like it has always been. Whether a same or opposite sex marriage:   Married women are wives, no matter who they marry. Married men are husbands to their spouses. 

@SloopJohnB  has it correct. 

Respected Contributor

Ive never collected unemployment. Isnt jit ust a couple of hundred dollars a week?  Cant live on that. I dont know how folks do.

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Maybe she had wanted to quit working, but knew she couldn't collect unemployment benefits if she quit.

This way, she knew she'd probably get fired so then she could collect unemployment for a while.

Respected Contributor

Darden is a "do things strictly by the book" organization.  The manager obviously didn't do that. Not following Darden's endless list of rules and procedures will get you fired.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spoiler

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Everyone is hiring.  Treating adults like adults goes a long way to retaining them.  If my manager posted this diatribe, I'd have job cooking on the line or serving tables within 48 hours.

I agree @RollTide2008 .  They are front line workers who have to have people breathing on them and get most of the flack from the public.  Besides unless you're management material these restaurant jobs are not likely long term positions.  High turnover rates for these kinds of jobs.

My teenage sons works for an independent restaurant.  His second week there he got strep throat.  His boss's response when he called off?  "Feel better soon.  If you need Friday off too let me know".  

I would never tell an employee to come to work sick.  I have worked in many large multinational companies in various industries and in non profit organizations.  We were told to bring a doctor's note if we were out sick when you returned to work.  The problem with this is that you don't always run to the doc when you're sick.  Why come in and make others' sick?  Especially during these times @RollTide2008 !

I'm glad your sons work for people who are compassionate and understand life happens as we go.....

This is about employees that use illness as an excuse over & over not to show up & that puts a huge burden on the employees that do, they have to do extra work.  I understand that managers frustration, you hire someone & then they work when they feel like it & think it's acceptable, it isn't...it's bad for businesses, reliable employees & customers.

Well, I disagree.  If that were true, then the manager would not have been fired.  The Powers That Be at Darden would not have fired the manager @kitcat51 .  At leas that's my thinking.

Fired because companies are spineless, they make scapegoats out of employees who tell the truth. Do you think a CEO would put up with that in their office? H/ell no.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Spoiler

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Fired because companies are spineless, they make scapegoats out of employees who tell the truth. Do you think a CEO would put up with that in their office? H/ell no.

I can agree with this ^^^^^