Esteemed Contributor

Re: Olive Garden Manager in Kansas Fired for

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I don't believe everything I hear or read, in fact I trust very little of it.

I've spent 25 years in hospitality.  I don't have any trouble believing it.

Everyone is hiring.  Treating adults like adults goes a long way to retaining them.  If my manager posted this diatribe, I'd have job cooking on the line or serving tables within 48 hours.

I agree @RollTide2008 .  They are front line workers who have to have people breathing on them and get most of the flack from the public.  Besides unless you're management material these restaurant jobs are not likely long term positions.  High turnover rates for these kinds of jobs.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Everyone is hiring.  Treating adults like adults goes a long way to retaining them.  If my manager posted this diatribe, I'd have job cooking on the line or serving tables within 48 hours.

I agree @RollTide2008 .  They are front line workers who have to have people breathing on them and get most of the flack from the public.  Besides unless you're management material these restaurant jobs are not likely long term positions.  High turnover rates for these kinds of jobs.

My teenage sons works for an independent restaurant.  His second week there he got strep throat.  His boss's response when he called off?  "Feel better soon.  If you need Friday off too let me know".  

Frequent Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Probably not the best way to handle the call out situation, but I LOVE the woman's straightforwardness!

Why are you under the assumption this person (former manager) is a woman @RedTop ?

It says......I much rather be at home with my husband @gertrudecloset   in the body of the message.

@SloopJohnB I know what it says.  I posted it so that means I read it prior to doing that.  Stop for a minute and think about that.  Despite the fact that it's Kansas.....

@gertrudecloset   Why the need to berate Kansas?

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BarbieDollToo wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Probably not the best way to handle the call out situation, but I LOVE the woman's straightforwardness!

Why are you under the assumption this person (former manager) is a woman @RedTop ?

It says......I much rather be at home with my husband @gertrudecloset   in the body of the message.

@SloopJohnB I know what it says.  I posted it so that means I read it prior to doing that.  Stop for a minute and think about that.  Despite the fact that it's Kansas.....

@gertrudecloset   Why the need to berate Kansas?

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

My teenage sons works for an independent restaurant.  His second week there he got strep throat.  His boss's response when he called off?  "Feel better soon.  If you need Friday off too let me know".  

I would never tell an employee to come to work sick.  I have worked in many large multinational companies in various industries and in non profit organizations.  We were told to bring a doctor's note if we were out sick when you returned to work.  The problem with this is that you don't always run to the doc when you're sick.  Why come in and make others' sick?  Especially during these times @RollTide2008 !

I'm glad your sons work for people who are compassionate and understand life happens as we go.....

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset    Having supervised a unit of unemployment insurance claims investigators for about 5 years and testified in hearings as an expert. witness, I'm quite fami!jar with the procedure.

Is there ANYTHING about which you won't argue?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I worked with a nurse who called in sick  once or twice a month  which went on for years. Her Father was a Doctor in the same hospital so of course nothing was said .

Many of us co workers were on the receiving end of her  calling in . More than once , after working 3:30-12MN , I had to work 12MN-8am since she did not show up . I had a young child at home , it was a good thing that I had a husband to take care of my child .

I had to stay awake all night- no cat nap . It was the worst.

If people are really ill or have sinck children that's one thing but there are some people who call in to take an extra day off ..... I have no time for those sort of people

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gertrudecloset    Having supervised a unit of unemployment insurance claims investigators for about 5 years and testified in hearings as an expert. witness, I'm quite fami!jar with the procedure.

Is there ANYTHING about which you won't argue?

Listen @Kachina624 you need to just understand that States do things differently.  I don't care where you worked.  I don't care about your life.  

You made a statement as if it's a fact.  However, it is not the case.  Do you always think that you are correct when you make a statement?  You're not.  Neither am I.  We don't know that in this instance (in Kansas) that the Company fired the manager because they violated an infraction.  YOU assumed that, thus the reason for your statement.  

I wasn't trying to argue, I was trying to have a discussion.  If it doesn't align with what you said, it's an argument?  It was a correction.  Every state does things differently.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I would never tell an employee to come to work sick.  I have worked in many large multinational companies in various industries and in non profit organizations.  We were told to bring a doctor's note if we were out sick when you returned to work.  The problem with this is that you don't always run to the doc when you're sick.  Why come in and make others' sick?  Especially during these times @RollTide2008 !

I'm glad your sons work for people who are compassionate and understand life happens as we go.....

This is about employees that use illness as an excuse over & over not to show up & that puts a huge burden on the employees that do, they have to do extra work.  I understand that managers frustration, you hire someone & then they work when they feel like it & think it's acceptable, it isn't...it's bad for businesses, reliable employees & customers.