Esteemed Contributor

Re: Olive Garden Manager in Kansas Fired for

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Probably not the best way to handle the call out situation, but I LOVE the woman's straightforwardness!

Why are you under the assumption this person (former manager) is a woman @RedTop ?

It says......I much rather be at home with my husband @gertrudecloset   in the body of the message.

@SloopJohnB I know what it says.  I posted it so that means I read it prior to doing that.  Stop for a minute and think about that.  Despite the fact that it's Kansas.....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Probably not the best way to handle the call out situation, but I LOVE the woman's straightforwardness!

Why are you under the assumption this person (former manager) is a woman @RedTop ?

It says......I much rather be at home with my husband @gertrudecloset   in the body of the message.

@SloopJohnB I know what it says.  I posted it so that means I read it prior to doing that.  Stop for a minute and think about that.  Despite the fact that it's Kansas.....

You lost me.  I see that you posted it.  Not sure what you mean about Kansas

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB  21st century husband(s) are not always "male." whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@cjm61 wrote:

I worked at Kaiser (can I say that? Woman Embarassed) years ago.  If you were sick for more than 2 days you had to produce a doctor's note confirming an illness. This is pretty common in many large businesses.

While I worked there an employee called in sick to attend the Ellen DeGeneres show. She was seen on TV in the opener where the audience is dancing. She was caught and immediately fired. 

Not all, but many people abuse their sick leave. If you are sick stay home. If you want to shop, travel, or whatever, do it on your own time. This does cost companies a lot of money. 

@cjm61 

Same way with the company I worked at for 33 years. Anything over 2 days absent, required a doctor's certificate, if you wanted to get paid. Either way, the absences were counted on your Attendance Records, exactly the same. So many instances, regardless of the doctors certificate, you got a "write up".

Unless you had 10 years of service, you did not get paid for the first 2 days off. You only got paid for the number of days off, starting with day 3.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SloopJohnB  21st century husband(s) are not always "male." whistling.gif

Ok.....I always hear same sex couples refer to their spouses as wives if they are both female and husbands if they are both males.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

What are you talking about and what is your point? It is clearly a woman, do you have a problem with the definition?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cjm61 I work at a university.  They are strict about that too.  You can't be out of work for more then 2 days without a doctor's note.  Even when my husband called in work for me. (I was in shock trauma after my 2015 very bad car accident)  After two days, work called back and told my husband to get a note from the doctor.  I was out of work for 6 months to recover and rehabilitation. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

I don't believe everything I hear or read, in fact I trust very little of it.

My daughter was a manager at a Darden concept and decided to leave when she had our grandson.  It's not the type of job for the mom of a newborn.  Crazy, long hours and too demanding.

Darden takes employee complaints very seriously and much investigation goes into a complaint before anyone is fired or let go.

She also said it's much easier to fire a manager than a team member.

My son-in-law also works for Darden as a District Manager, so this would be something he would have had to deal with if it were one of his properties.  He's not at Olive Garden, but stuff like is all the same for each concept.

When this story broke last week they were in Florida at a company Christmas party for the smaller concepts.

Honored Contributor

With managers like that it's shocking that people didn't go back to working in restaurants and others don't want to, isn't it.

Only a real sicko would say that about a dog. 

That manager should take an honest look at their managing style.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

I don't believe everything I hear or read, in fact I trust very little of it.

I've spent 25 years in hospitality.  I don't have any trouble believing it.

Everyone is hiring.  Treating adults like adults goes a long way to retaining them.  If my manager posted this diatribe, I'd have job cooking on the line or serving tables within 48 hours.