Respected Contributor

Re: Oldest Married Couple in the World!

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@KBEANS wrote:

Wow, how wonderful!   😊  They were taking bets on how long my husband and I would last. It will be 40 years next month.  😜 He's my best pal. So there!!

Yeah, my friends and family had their doubts about my husband and I also.  I often wondered if any man had the patience to tolerate my personality on a long-term basis.  We both married for the first time in our 30's, and many said that we were too 'set in our ways' to be part of a happy, long-lasting marriage.  As of last month we are together 32 years and going strong.  

Congratulations, Nice to hear! My Aunt and Uncle were months shy of 75 years, and she passed away. I remember their 50th. He wore a gold tux jacket and she a gold gown. There was a lovely ceremony at St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC, for a group of couples who had reached that mark. We were all looking forward to doing it again for their 75th.  In my marriage, my husband is "truly" my better half. I'm the George Costanza half! 😂 

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@KBEANS wrote:

Wow, how wonderful!   😊  They were taking bets on how long my husband and I would last. It will be 40 years next month.  😜 He's my best pal. So there!!

Yeah, my friends and family had their doubts about my husband and I also.  I often wondered if any man had the patience to tolerate my personality on a long-term basis.  We both married for the first time in our 30's, and many said that we were too 'set in our ways' to be part of a happy, long-lasting marriage.  As of last month we are together 32 years and going strong.  

My mother was a no-show at our wedding.  We're working on year 49.  

HEY! Congratulations to you as well! You sure showed everyone!  Good going!

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@KBEANS wrote:

I bet your cooking won him over, @deepwaterdotter 😋

Honored Contributor

that's awesome!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I didn't really take an interest in cooking until we had been married a few years.  

No parents at our wedding either, but that was intentional. Our families knew that we didn't want a big family ceremony.   We snuck off to the courthouse on a Monday morning, with his sister and one of my friends as witnesses.  Afterwards we all ate lunch at the restaurant across the street from the courthouse; what a cheap reception.   

Honored Contributor

My grandfather wanted my mother to marry a doctor or a more educated man. My Dad was a blue collar worker.  Grandma and Grandpa would not give  them their consent.  My Dad was stationed in the Navy in San Diego. He bought a train ticket for Mom and sent for her to come clear from Indiana.  She told her mother she was spending the night with a girlfriend. Instead she caught the train and the rest is history. Dad died 3 yrs. ago.  If he had lived another 6 months they would have celebrated their 70th. This picture of this couple reminds me of them.  My parents were still very much in love when Dad passed.  You didn't need to be around them very long to see it.

Honored Contributor

Fantastic!  I love stories such as this.

Honored Contributor

That's sweet!