Esteemed Contributor

Re: Older People Beware Scamers Are On The Prowl !!

My grandsons are both small. And, my granddaughter, well I know her voice.

Super Contributor

Similar to Ivey's story. A lady in my Bible study got a call from a "lawyer" representing her grandson who was in jail, didn't want his mom to know, needed bail money and lawyer fees, etc. She lost about $3000.
Super Contributor

A friend of mine just received a call from someone claiming to be from the IRS. They told her she owed a certain amount of money and that they were taking legal action if she did not pay up immediately. They wanted her credit card number. She just hung up on them.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

My Mom received one of the "grandson" calls, and did indeed believe it was from him! Fortunately for her, my brother handles her checking acct, and when she told her "GS" (who is our son) that he had to call his uncle, they hung up!! She was so upset that she couldn't help him, and was just beside herself, and called my sis to tell her. I actually asked our son to call her to reassure her that it wasn't legitimate!

These guys sure know how to prey on the vulnerable!{#emotions_dlg.angry}

Respected Contributor

A lot of elderly people have a hearing loss, so they can no longer recognize the voices of their grandchildren.

Esteemed Contributor

I got they were a bill collector, and I have no bills that either I pay in full or no bills at all except pge phone the usual everyday living.

Also a lot of India personality calls about a check on my heating system, that it is too old. Just had a new central heating five years ago, works fine. They are coming out of the woodwork, but they all have foreign accents.

Esteemed Contributor

Why don't people use caller ID and answering machines? We never answer any calls except from friends or family. We don't even answer Dr appt. reminders. We let the machine pick up and record the message! If everyone would do this, there would be no scams and they would stop calling once they get the machine a few times!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

The scammers don't leave us messages on our answering machine. Also, my base phone (with two extra cradle portable phones) is usually on another floor or too far away for me to run to the base-phone and check who's calling. If my portable phones displayed their (scammers') numbers, I'd be happy. I'll be looking for another phone set soon. Any suggestions? I need large displays as I don't walk around with my reading glasses on. Thanks for any input! Smile

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I got one of these calls today!

I answered the phone, and heard a young, sad voice say "hey....Grandma". I knew right away what kind of call it was, so I didn't say anything for a moment. I was trying to come up with a response.

Then the caller said "Grandma?", and I lit into him!!! I told him I'm not a grandma, and read him the riot act about how what he's doing is so wrong. He tried to interrupt me by saying he must have misdialed, but I kept right on yelling at him and told him he was an a----e.

I have to say, it felt good to do that.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

As for the caller ID question...I only saw a number displayed for this morning's call. The name was blocked, but we use this line primarily for business calls, so I have to pick up.