Super Contributor

Re: Older People Beware Scamers Are On The Prowl !!

I've gottten several of those scam calls and I tell them I know it's a scam, they finally stopped calling.

Super Contributor

While I don't doubt that this happens, I presume that most folks would recognize the sound of their loved ones' voices, no? I wouldn't need to ask any follow-up questions to determine whether or not I was speaking to one of my family members. Do people truly get taken in with this particular scam? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

As has been said many times here, don't answer the call if you don't recognize the number. It may make you fell good to "play with them", but once you answer they know it's a live number and will keep calling. They don't care if you yell at them. They know they've got a person and you will get more and more calls.

I don't answer those calls and I get very few now. They seldom leave a message.

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Colonel Meow said:

While I don't doubt that this happens, I presume that most folks would recognize the sound of their loved ones' voices, no? I wouldn't need to ask any follow-up questions to determine whether or not I was speaking to one of my family members. Do people truly get taken in with this particular scam? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Yes, unfortunately, people do get taken in by these scams.

Super Contributor

I'm not sure why it is assumed that older people fall for scams anymore than any other age group. It is my belief that it depends on the person and her/his personality. My mother at 86 trusts only those close to her, if someone would call and claim to be her grandson she would hang up and call him directly herself. She has gotten the windows computer calls, she knows those are scams and hangs up. However my in-laws are more trusting, and have been their whole lives.

Honored Contributor

A lot of older people fall for these scams, because they're suffering from dementia...and they can't reason these things out like younger, sharper people can.

We aren't saying that all older people fall for these scams....but many of them are vulnerable, due to age-related dementias...some that have been diagnosed, and others that haven't yet been recognized by family members.

Honored Contributor

And redtabby, you and your mom are very lucky that she is so sharp at her age. But do keep in mind that there are millions of older adults who are affected by Alzheimer's disease...and it isn't due to anything neglectful on their part.

Trusted Contributor

It's not only older folks who fall for some of those scams.

I realize that many elderly people can be more vulnerable, but I think anyone of any age could be hoodwinked if they didn't throw out some radar and use caution when it comes to giving up information and/or money.

Super Contributor

On 11/22/2014 september said:

And redtabby, you and your mom are very lucky that she is so sharp at her age. But do keep in mind that there are millions of older adults who are affected by Alzheimer's disease...and it isn't due to anything neglectful on their part.

Or they have dementia. They trust everybody. They believe every sob story.

It's sad, really.

Super Contributor

On 11/22/2014 madzonie said:

It's not only older folks who fall for some of those scams.

I realize that many elderly people can be more vulnerable, but I think anyone of any age could be hoodwinked if they didn't throw out some radar and use caution when it comes to giving up information and/or money.

But a lot of elderly don't "throw out some kind of radar" or "use caution". It's not their fault that their mental capabilities isn't what it used to be, due to deterioration caused by age.

Blame the scammers who prey on the vulnerable.