Respected Contributor

Re: Old survey of favorite Thanksgiving side dishes

@Bridgegal

See ya at Christmas. Dinner is at 4:00pmSmiley Very Happy

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

According to the map, I live in squash country.  Never happened, never going to happen.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have always called it "stuffing" and it was never once cooked inside the turkey - always in a side dish.  Different regions and families are all different.

Never once had squash either, and grew up in the NE.  

Just realized, my Ohio SIL served all 6 side dishes on this map at Thanksgiving.  And about 50 more. Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Indiana and as I've already posted on a couple of other threads, our unofficial state food is noodles (over mashed potatoes).  I'm not a bread person so I would never eat rolls or biscuits.  This thanksgiving mom fixed dressing (but she was the only one to eat any) and we had turkey,  ham, mashed potatoes, noodles, corn casserole, mac & cheese and I think there was a green bean casserole as well as many desserts.  Our family is not into the squash or cranberry relish dishes and I don't recall ever having those at Thanksgiving.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

We have always called it "stuffing" and it was never once cooked inside the turkey - always in a side dish.  Different regions and families are all different.

Never once had squash either, and grew up in the NE.  

Just realized, my Ohio SIL served all 6 side dishes on this map at Thanksgiving.  And about 50 more.Woman LOL

@Mj12We always called all dressing stuffing.

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

I live in California and I have never heard of Macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner. Must be a southern thing. 

Most Californians serve the Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potato's, yams/sweet potato's, salad, and bread rolls and some serve greenbean casserole, but I never did.

@hsawaknow  I think this mac and cheese frenzy is something new.  I don't remember it ever being more than a quick and what my dad would call a "poor-do" meal.  Something cheap and last resort food.  And it is news to me if "back in the day" it was on many holiday tables. 

It wasn't glorified until a few years ago when it became a national sport to see just how much fat and salt one could pack into any food.  It was kiddie food and now people are WILD for it.

We didn't do green bean casseroles either, just green beans with ham in them.  We had sweet potato salad until the marshmallows on top underwent some sort of remodel and started catching fire in the broiler.  That was an event we could do without.

We had salad, but only my mother and husband ever touched it. And six pies and three cakes.  For six people and anybody who wandered in for a few days. 

Honored Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

I live in Missouri and HATE HATE HATE that horrid green bean casserole - 

I agree who would say bread or rolls or even cornbread was a side dish?   More like dressing baked in a casserole, cranberry sauce or relish, corn, yams, mashed

potatoes/gravy, green beans that aren't in any way connected to cream of mushroom soup, Woman LOL etc. etc. etc.  Lots of sides but this map is s t u p i d....

I HATE it, too. Cream of anything soup is gross. I made fresh green beans in a citrus butter sauce. It's delicious and a lot healthier than the typical green bean casserole.

Cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup, Campbell's only please, is a wonderful thing for a few dishes in my book: King Ranch Casserole and Pot Pie filling.  LOVE it and am not ashamed, although it is something we rarely use because we don't make many casseroles or pot pies. 

It is a thousand percent better if you add a few tsps of a good dry sherry, or white wine in a pinch.  Lemon juice is a poor substitute but acceptable to give it a little zip and cut the "sweet" taste. 

Honored Contributor

not a very valid survey if cornbread dressing isn't anywhere!