Valued Contributor

Re: Old survey of favorite Thanksgiving side dishes

@minkbunny wrote:

I live in Missouri and HATE HATE HATE that horrid green bean casserole - 

I agree who would say bread or rolls or even cornbread was a side dish?   More like dressing baked in a casserole, cranberry sauce or relish, corn, yams, mashed

potatoes/gravy, green beans that aren't in any way connected to cream of mushroom soup, Woman LOL etc. etc. etc.  Lots of sides but this map is s t u p i d....

I HATE it, too. Cream of anything soup is gross. I made fresh green beans in a citrus butter sauce. It's delicious and a lot healthier than the typical green bean casserole.

Valued Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I'll take any of it except that gross, nasty, disgusting, horrible green bean casserole.   Never heard of it until we moved to PA.   OMG, nothing worse.  I mastered the skill of taking a little and hiding it around my plate for a while and then I just stopped taking it at all.

Never seen mac and cheese nor squash on any Thanksgiving table either , but would love eating both if they appeared.  

And there's nothing better than good cornbread , sage and onion dressing.

LOVE your description of the green bean casserole. Neither I or any family members have served this at Thanksgiving. Mac and cheese is a NAY for me - WAY too many FAT calories.

Honored Contributor

My family has lived in California since before it was a state. Salad has been served but it is mashed potatoes and stuffing that are always center and a big attraction. My daughters have to have green bean cassarole.  They make ot from fresh greenbeans though and make their own sauce and lots of those crispy onions.  I do not like like the stuff, but most people who come to dinner seem to like it or love it.i would not say salad is the favorite side dish.  I would say it can make an appearance to claim there is something healty offered.  This uear mo ome offered salad because of the recall.  Stuffing is the attraction at restaurants, and it is quite a competition to make it different.   I would say in california it is BBQ or deep fried turkey, mashed pots, gravy, stuffing and green , with almonds, seared brussel sprouts  or asparagus that appears as veggies. And Tofurkey or alternative meals are always around.  Hey this is California. 

Respected Contributor

Stuffing (or dressing) using my grandmother/mother's recipe.  They would boil the gizzards until done, then put them through the meat grinder and mix them with sauteed onions, celery and broken up day old bread.  I've eaten it hot and cold, delicious either way. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess it depends on who you are and where you come from. We have a multicultural Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most of our family members do not like brussels sprouts, green bean casserole or squash. So we have what we like! We do have;

Mac n' cheese,collards with ham hocks, sweet potato pie  - Soul Food

Arroz con gandules(rice and pigeon peas), pernil(roast pork) - Puerto Rican cuisine

mashed potatoes, gravy, chestnut/ sausage and bread stuffing(in the bird), cooked to death green beans, carrots, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, homemade cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, salad, rolls, pumpkin pie, turkey, ham - American fare

Bibingka(coconut-rice cake) Filipino cuisine

We basically have the same menu at Christmas with pastelles and different desserts.

It's all yummy!Smiley Wink

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I love cranberry anything!!!  Put cranberry on something....and I'll eat it.

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I guess it depends on who you are and where you come from. We have a multicultural Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most of our family members do not like brussels sprouts, green bean casserole or squash. So we have what we like! We do have;

Mac n' cheese,collards with ham hocks, sweet potato pie  - Soul Food

Arroz con gandules(rice and pigeon peas), pernil(roast pork) - Puerto Rican cuisine

mashed potatoes, gravy, chestnut/ sausage and bread stuffing, cooked to death green beans, carrots, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, homemade cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, salad, rolls, pumpkin pie, turkey, ham - American fare

Bibingka(coconut-rice cake) Filipino cuisine

We basically have the same menu at Christmas with pastelles and different desserts.

It's all yummy!Smiley Wink

OH I want to eat at your house.  I LOVE all of those things.  Well, except cranberry sauce.  Smiley Wink    Your meal sounds wonderful!!    I have soon to be cooked to death green beans in a crock pot right now.   

Frequent Contributor

I’m a Minnesotan, born and raised. I’ve never, ever had Green Bean Casserole for Thanksgiving or any other holiday dinner. I come from a family of 27 first cousins on my dad’s side and I’ve been to a lot of dinners as everyone used to take turns hosting. No Green Bean Casserole.
I did, however, live in CA (Bay Area) with my born and raised ex-husband and his born and raised in CA parents, and they always had salad for Thanksgiving.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree with Massachusetts but it would be mashed butternut squash.  Also squash pie along with pumpking pie.

Never saw cornbread as a "side" in Texas.  Cornbread stuffing would be more accurate.

Green bean casserole-that horrid Cambell's mushroom soup was used as a "filler" in the midwest in the 1950's or so. 

The green bean cassserole didn't our hit home until maybe the late 1970's or so.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@shortbreadlover wrote:

never ever got the cornbread thing.  i like it plain but in dressing?  no not for me

@shortbreadlover  They have to be talking about dressing here.  Everybody I know makes cornbread dressing and I don't know of anyone who has just cornbread on a holiday table.

I'm ok with cornbread dressing cooked outside the turkey like we always did it.  I simply can eat dressing cooked inside the turkey.  It is way too greasy for me!  

Salad?  Really?  We tried the green bean casserole once in the 1960's and none of our crowd liked it.  We had sweet potatoes but no mashed potatoes either.  

Lots of differences here!  

@Sooner- here in New York, I'd never heard of "dressing" except for the kind you put on salad like Russian or Italian. Your dressing is my stuffing, which is my favorite side dish for Thanksgiving. I don't add a lot of extra ingredients, just the bag of stuffing cubes, sauteed onions, sauteed celery, a bit of oil, pan drippings from the bird if I have some, or if not, some chicken broth, sometimes an egg, and I think that's about it. I bake it in a separate pan, not in the bird. I could eat that stuffing all day and all night. Soooo good!

My second favorite is sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, a traditional treat. Then mashed potatoes and cranberry relish. I've never eaten salad or mac and cheese on Thanksgiving.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett