Valued Contributor

Re: Old survey of favorite Thanksgiving side dishes

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I'm not @cherry but I'll answer...

"The Mitten" is Michigan, because the lower peninsula looks like a mitten. 

---

I'm glad that they don't give nicknames to every region based on its  shape.

Respected Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I'm not @cherry but I'll answer...

"The Mitten" is Michigan, because the lower peninsula looks like a mitten. 

---

I'm glad that they don't give nicknames to every region based on its  shape.

Yeaaaah, Florida has a nickname that I'm sure would result in my being banned if I posted it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ShowMe wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

I live in Missouri and HATE HATE HATE that horrid green bean casserole - 

I agree who would say bread or rolls or even cornbread was a side dish?   More like dressing baked in a casserole, cranberry sauce or relish, corn, yams, mashed

potatoes/gravy, green beans that aren't in any way connected to cream of mushroom soup, Woman LOL etc. etc. etc.  Lots of sides but this map is s t u p i d....

@minkbunny......oh come on.....I never said I made it with cream of mushroom soup.  There are different kinds of sauces you can make.  I have made a bechamel sauce with fresh mushrooms, diced onions, and white cheddar cheese, and put the crisp onions on top when baking.  It is delicious.  One night not long to ago Martha Stewart made a green bean dish similar to this. and it looked so good.  

@ShowMe  @minkbunny  Hillbilly at heart that I am, I love things with mushroom or cream of chicken or celery soup in them!  I don't eat them often now, but I love them!  Not the green bean casserole, but turkey or chicken pot pie, King Ranch Casserole and things like that!   I also always put a couple tsp's of Sherry in it!  It makes all the difference!

My recipe for King Ranch Casserole replaces the soup with cream and Monterey Jack cheese.

Respected Contributor

I'll take any of it except that gross, nasty, disgusting, horrible green bean casserole.   Never heard of it until we moved to PA.   OMG, nothing worse.  I mastered the skill of taking a little and hiding it around my plate for a while and then I just stopped taking it at all.

Never seen mac and cheese nor squash on any Thanksgiving table either , but would love eating both if they appeared.  

And there's nothing better than good cornbread , sage and onion dressing.

Honored Contributor

Today's Mallard Fillmore comic:

Image result for mallard fillmore green bean

Note to @Bridgegal@Kachina624@minkbunny, and @deepwaterdotter

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I live in California and I have never heard of Macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner. Must be a southern thing. 

Most Californians serve the Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potato's, yams/sweet potato's, salad, and bread rolls and some serve greenbean casserole, but I never did.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

I live in California and I have never heard of Macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner. Must be a southern thing. 

Most Californians serve the Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potato's, yams/sweet potato's, salad, and bread rolls and some serve greenbean casserole, but I never did.

@hsawaknow

Nope, I’m a native of the south, never have I seen Mac&Cheese on any Thanksgiving table.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

They found 931 people who obviously are messing with us. This survey is rubbish...lol

Honored Contributor

It's just not Thanksgiving without...

Brussels sprouts

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

I am a southerner, and I can guarantee you that mac & cheese is not a "southern thing."   No one I know has ever had that on their Thanksgiving menu.