Honored Contributor

Re: Old survey of favorite Thanksgiving side dishes

@minkbunny wrote:

I live in Missouri and HATE HATE HATE that horrid green bean casserole - 

I agree who would say bread or rolls or even cornbread was a side dish?   More like dressing baked in a casserole, cranberry sauce or relish, corn, yams, mashed

potatoes/gravy, green beans that aren't in any way connected to cream of mushroom soup, Woman LOL etc. etc. etc.  Lots of sides but this map is s t u p i d....

@minkbunny......oh come on.....I never said I made it with cream of mushroom soup.  There are different kinds of sauces you can make.  I have made a bechamel sauce with fresh mushrooms, diced onions, and white cheddar cheese, and put the crisp onions on top when baking.  It is delicious.  One night not long to ago Martha Stewart made a green bean dish similar to this. and it looked so good.  

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624, man, did you bring me way back! I forgot about those creamed onions. My mom always made them for Thanksgiving too! And she was the only one who ate them. When I took over Thanksgiving, needless to say, they weren't on the menu!
Respected Contributor

Okay, okay, didn't mean to start a green bean casserole revolt - being plain old Ozark folk, I have never seen any of the "fancy" versions Woman LOL

Now gives me a big old pot of fresh green beans with baby new red potatoes, cubed up onions and a hunk of ham for those who might enjoy it - now we are talking green beans ! 

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

Okay, okay, didn't mean to start a green bean casserole revolt - being plain old Ozark folk, I have never seen any of the "fancy" versions Woman LOL

Now gives me a big old pot of fresh green beans with baby new red potatoes, cubed up onions and a hunk of ham for those who might enjoy it - now we are talking green beans ! 

@minkbunny.......ain't nothin wrong with being "plain old Ozark folk".  Some very good cooks.....   Yes, your green beans, new red potatoes and hunk of ham sounds mighty good.....especially on a cold winter night.  And how about some home made cornbread to go with it????

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I grew up in the Northeast and have lived the other half of my life in the Southern states.  Squash and Mac and Cheese have never made a Thanksgiving table that I have ever ate at.  Ever.  

I am from NY, a suburb of Buffalo called Orchard Park but I have lived in NC for the past 15 yrs. It surprises me you have never heard of Mac and Cheese as a side in the south. I honestly never have been to a Thanksgiving in the south where mac n cheese isn't on the table. 

Another side that is popular down here is potato salad. 

I am making mac and cheese tomorrow. I usually spent about $45-$50 just on the cheeses. It is a family favorite. I usually make it 4 times a year. Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July and my daughter, niece, husband, brother in law and his brother always request it for their birthdays. So actually more than 4 times a year, lol! I use cheddar, fontina, gruyere, fresh mozz, and the secret ingredient, 4 ounces of Velveeta. I never used to make it with this and it was good but several older ladies whose mac and cheese I loved told me this was their secret. ! It just melts so well and really makes it beautifully creamy. I also make roux and then add the cheeses to that with nutmeg, mustard powder and cayenne. Dang, I am getting hungry but I am off to made pie crusts for my pies!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ShowMe wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

Now gives me a big old pot of fresh green beans with baby new red potatoes, cubed up o iron skillet and getnions and a hunk of ham for those who might!   enjoy it - now we are talking green beans ! 

@minkbunny.......ain't nothin wrong with being "plain old Ozark folk".  Some very good cooks.....   Yes, your green beans, new red potatoes and hunk of ham sounds mighty good.....especially on a cold winter night.  And how about  and some home made cornbread to go with it????

@ShowMe   Now you're talking !    Slather some bacon grease in that cast iron skillet and get her nice and hot !   I love cornbread (but not in my dressing, please.) Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Nope - my fave is mashed potatoes, with or without gravy.  

Honored Contributor

Mashed potatoes has always been #1.

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

I live in Missouri and HATE HATE HATE that horrid green bean casserole - 

I agree who would say bread or rolls or even cornbread was a side dish?   More like dressing baked in a casserole, cranberry sauce or relish, corn, yams, mashed

potatoes/gravy, green beans that aren't in any way connected to cream of mushroom soup, Woman LOL etc. etc. etc.  Lots of sides but this map is s t u p i d....

@minkbunny......oh come on.....I never said I made it with cream of mushroom soup.  There are different kinds of sauces you can make.  I have made a bechamel sauce with fresh mushrooms, diced onions, and white cheddar cheese, and put the crisp onions on top when baking.  It is delicious.  One night not long to ago Martha Stewart made a green bean dish similar to this. and it looked so good.  

@ShowMe  @minkbunny  Hillbilly at heart that I am, I love things with mushroom or cream of chicken or celery soup in them!  I don't eat them often now, but I love them!  Not the green bean casserole, but turkey or chicken pot pie, King Ranch Casserole and things like that!   I also always put a couple tsp's of Sherry in it!  It makes all the difference!

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I grew up in the Northeast and have lived the other half of my life in the Southern states.  Squash and Mac and Cheese have never made a Thanksgiving table that I have ever ate at.  Ever.  

I am from NY, a suburb of Buffalo called Orchard Park but I have lived in NC for the past 15 yrs. It surprises me you have never heard of Mac and Cheese as a side in the south. I honestly never have been to a Thanksgiving in the south where mac n cheese isn't on the table. 

Another side that is popular down here is potato salad. 

I am making mac and cheese tomorrow. I usually spent about $45-$50 just on the cheeses. It is a family favorite. I usually make it 4 times a year. Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July and my daughter, niece, husband, brother in law and his brother always request it for their birthdays. So actually more than 4 times a year, lol! I use cheddar, fontina, gruyere, fresh mozz, and the secret ingredient, 4 ounces of Velveeta. I never used to make it with this and it was good but several older ladies whose mac and cheese I loved told me this was their secret. ! It just melts so well and really makes it beautifully creamy. I also make roux and then add the cheeses to that with nutmeg, mustard powder and cayenne. Dang, I am getting hungry but I am off to made pie crusts for my pies!

@Irshgrl31201@  @Laura14  OK.  I'm from the South and never saw mac and cheese at a holiday table.  HOWEVER, I do know that throughout the south it is considered a vegetable by my mom and aunts and every Furrs cafeteria I ever ate in!  LOL!!!