Honored Contributor

Re: Old survey of favorite Thanksgiving side dishes

I married a true Minnesotan, he requests green bean casserole every Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

I'm from the Northeast and mac and cheese is a strange one for me.  Of course, I know some folks like it as a side dish for any occasion.  But why Thanksgiving when there are so many other choices?  We don't usually have salad for T-giving either.  Doesn't seem to go with the day's theme of "soft" comfort food.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm from Chicago.  I don't consider rolls a side dish.

It's bread stuffing cooked outside of the turkey and gravy for me!

Valued Contributor

Where are the mashed potatoes? 

Valued Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I grew up in the Northeast and have lived the other half of my life in the Southern states.  Squash and Mac and Cheese have never made a Thanksgiving table that I have ever ate at.  Ever.  

---

The first time I ever had butternut squash (mashed) was when I went to visit  family in upstate New York  for Thanksgiving.  I have loved it ever since.

Honored Contributor

@cherry@Where is the mitten?i have never heard of that area.

Super Contributor

stuffing...amd a second helping of stuffing !!!!

Super Contributor

True !!!  We have mashed white potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes

Honored Contributor

@wildlifewitch wrote:

Where are the mashed potatoes? 

@wildlifewitch......was thinking the same thing.  Love mashed potatoes and delicious lump free gravy.  That, the turkey, good old fashioned dressing made with sausage, onion, celery, chopped pecans, Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread, chicken broth, and then stuffed into that big bird....and what doesn't make it into the bird, bake separately.  Then the green bean casserole, hot crescent rolls, and fresh made cranberry sauce.  Pie is the choice of the chef.....I would prefer pumpkin or pecan pie with bourbon in it.  That would make me a happy camper.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

never ever got the cornbread thing.  i like it plain but in dressing?  no not for me

@shortbreadlover  They have to be talking about dressing here.  Everybody I know makes cornbread dressing and I don't know of anyone who has just cornbread on a holiday table.

I'm ok with cornbread dressing cooked outside the turkey like we always did it.  I simply can eat dressing cooked inside the turkey.  It is way too greasy for me!  

Salad?  Really?  We tried the green bean casserole once in the 1960's and none of our crowd liked it.  We had sweet potatoes but no mashed potatoes either.  

Lots of differences here!