Honored Contributor

Re: Old movies; Dressed up at home!

@Goldengate8361: If  you are watching Dial M for Murder also notice how Hitch put her in white at the very early part of this film and after we know about her affair w/Bob Cummings (I think you're going to like this picture) he puts her in red. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 yes! That's exactly what I am watching! Grace Kelly's clothes are amazing in this movie! She is absolutely gorgeous. Nice note regarding the color change you mentioned.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361: I think her clothes in Rear Window are also fab. When she pulls out that nightie--wowie,wow,wow. 

Esteemed Contributor

My Mother was a fashion plate her entire working career ( she went " back to work" in 1955 when my brother and I were still in elementary school).  She always wore dresses, several pieces of jewelry and heels everywhere; she didn't own trousers until after she retired ( 1974).  My Dad was a EE and always wore a suit and tie.  He was so accustomed to it that he started wearing bolos once he retired ( must have missed the tie).

Honored Contributor

One thing I noticed after multiple viewings of Leave It To Beaver is that June didn't have a large wardrobe. She wore the same outfits over and over. She sometimes had slacks on. Her dressier outfits looked expensive - she even had a fur.

Respected Contributor

My Mom always wore what she called a house dress or a skirt and top. Saw her in shorts once on vacation. I am in my late seventies and never wore either one. She passed at 99yrs old. She was the best Mom.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

Ahhh, yes, the "housedress."

These were always good standby gifts from my sis and me to our mom...for any occasion.

We could always find them at our small town "drygoods" store.  You know, the ones that sold everything, including our dark blue gym uniforms.  Yikes!

That, or a big bottle of Tabu perfume. Cat LOL

Years later, I realized how strong it was, but she always smelled marvelous in it.  Very exotic for the day!

Honored Contributor

I always wondered.   I didn't grow up in an ideal environment and I don't remember ever seeing anybody else who was dressed up around the house like what we saw on tv.

I was born in the mid 50s.

I've always been a fairly casual dresser except, of course, when in a scenario where one dresses up.

These days - Around the house I'm wearing what I call my 'dog hair clothes'.  Totally casual to the max.  I have a lot of Denim&Co and some of the older casual lines they used to sell here.  Some of my Fashion Formula pieces are still like new!  Never been a clothes horse, so I have things I have had for many years.

But, hey, no judgment.  If people want to dress to the nines at home - DO IT!   Why not?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

One thing I noticed after multiple viewings of Leave It To Beaver is that June didn't have a large wardrobe. She wore the same outfits over and over. She sometimes had slacks on. Her dressier outfits looked expensive - she even had a fur.

How interesting. I have been watching The Burns and Allen Show. And Gracie Allen wears a new dress in every scene. And she was a tiny lady. So every dress is well tailored 

But The I Love Lucy show, I used to noticed that Lucille Ball would wear the same dress in different episodes.

And I read that The D i c k Van D y k e Show the cast would sometimes wear their own clothing. 

Marlo Thomas in her show wore a different outfit in every scene.

Guess it depends on the budget. 

Honored Contributor

My favorite is what the men wore--ties at home; jackets and hats at the ballpark, etc. etc.  Times sure have changed!