Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old movies; Dressed up at home!

My father was a dentist. He wore a suit and tie on his long commute into the city. He changed into his scrubs when he arrived at his office. He changed back into his suit and tie when he went to lunch and changed back into scrubs when he returned from lunch. At the end of the day he was back in his suit and tie. My mother wore a house dress every morning.  When I returned home from school she was in a skirt and blouse, ironing all our stuff...including linens and even underwear. I don't think I saw my mother in pants until I was in college.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@GingerPeach 

I just watched a few old episodes of Seinfeld where Elaine is working as a writer for the "J Peterman" catalog.

So silly and funny!

It was the one where she created the "Urban Sombrero" and was trying to come up with copy for the "Himalayan Walking Boots."

Funny thing is, I remember ordering that catalog and reading the descriptions thinking, "yes, this is what I want to be like."  I particularly wanted to long, long cowboy riding duster.  I have no idea why Cat LOL

I'm wondering if it is still around?

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@GingerPeach 

I just watched a few old episodes of Seinfeld where Elaine is working as a writer for the "J Peterman" catalog.

So silly and funny!

It was the one where she created the "Urban Sombrero" and was trying to come up with copy for the "Himalayan Walking Boots."

Funny thing is, I remember ordering that catalog and reading the descriptions thinking, "yes, this is what I want to be like."  I particularly wanted to long, long cowboy riding duster.  I have no idea why Cat LOL

@Witchy Woman  -  I loved that catalog!  And the long duster.  I was curious so I googled it - the company went out of business in 1999.  The artwork and the writing were outstanding.

Trusted Contributor

I get tired of seeing pajama bottoms and messy buns.......

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@GingerPeach 

So silly and funny!

Peterman is still around, @Witchy Woman And the duster is, too.

I get their email ads, although I haven't ordered for a really long time, which is why I probably don't get their catalogs in the mail anymore.

I still have a few on my bookshelf for nostalgic reasons. Love that writing!

I remember that urban sombrero episode.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

My grandmother always wore some type of waisted dress, (think of fit and flare style). I never saw her wear "slacks". Ever.

My mom wore a dress at home when I was very young but over time she did start wearing slacks.  By the time she was in her 40s she never wore a dress at home anymore but by then we'd moved to a rural farmhouse. She started doing a lot of canning and freezing of fresh vegs and fruits.  She used a pressure cooker a lot, even cooked venison that was never dry because of her method of preparing it. I never learned to become comfortable with using a pressure cooker.  TBH that thing scared me cuz I'd heard the horror stories of them blowing up! But Mom was a pro at cooking and canning with it.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Goldengate8361    Remember the ads in the 50s and 60s of housewives mopping in heels and pearls?  Just look at us now, jammies to the grocery store (well, some of us).

I remember that too...so funny!  However the reality was women like my mother wore "housedresses" or dusters.  They were big shapeless dresses that had lots of pockets.  That is what was worn for cleaninging & housework.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 68 amd grew up on a (nursery) farm.  No dresses or pearls at my home doing housework.

NEVER saw my grandmothers in any kind of slacks or pants, only housedresses.

Denise
Honored Contributor

In high school, the girls wore skirts, blouses or sweaters, and pantyhose.  

My Mother had boxes of hats that she wore when younger, and I would play dress-up with those and her higher heels from her youth.

I remember when going on job interviews wearing short white gloves.

My Mother worked, skirts and blouses, nylons and heels, but at home, it was Capri's, which were longer on her as for me as she was short, and so am I.

I now wear around the house sleeveless shifts with pockets, have a large supply, and during very hot weather, I wear the same only in a lighter material so it feels as if I am wearing nothing.

Honored Contributor

I can't speak for other homes, but I remember my Mom in the late 50's and 60's and she never dressed up around home or wore those dresses!  Mom worked 5 days a week at a very hard job and there was no dressing up there!  On off hours and weekends, she wore what they called dungarees or something like that.  On the rare occasion, when it called for, she had a couple nice dresses and that was it.  Times were very hard back then and there was no money for fancy clothing and jewelry!   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Nope!  No dressing up at home!!! I worked in an office setting for the majority of my life --- almost 50 years!  I started work in an era where people really did dress up for work.  Ladies wore dresses, stockings, heels, jewelry, etc.  Later on we could wear tailored pantsuits and hosiery and heels.  Men wore suits and ties and even hats.  Of course, later on, the dress code relaxed --- a lot.  So, now that I'm retired, my attire has relaxed as well!  I am glad to be out of the work force, but truthfully I do miss at times getting all dolled up in my nice clothes and jewelry!  I see no reason to put on my finery to dust and scrub floors! LOL!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin