Honored Contributor

Old flip phones

[ Edited ]

Years ago, I had only a flip phone.  The old style cell phone.  I had for a long time.  I got them  early in the year 2000.  They had started coming out. That was then.  Now I have smart phones.  Tonight I was talking to my brother in law.  He does not want a smart phone.  He showed me his brand new flip phone.  Verizon sent him one because they could no longer support his ancient flip phone.  It was pretty nice.  Very digitized.  In addition to phone calls, he can text.  I was surprised though I did assume they still market flip phones.  Anyone else still have them?  His plan is very cheap.  I think it costs him $20.00 month from Verizon.  

Honored Contributor

We still have our old flip phone. Why would we need a Smart Phone?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@songbird  I have  a  T Mobile flip phone. I pay 10 dollars a month on my plan. It is  AllI I need. I do not want a fancy bells and whistles phone.

Honored Contributor

We still have our flip phones, got them in 2000 and have Verizon. They still work like new...both LG. We don't need smartphones and don't feel a need to be hooked up to the internet 24/7 where ever we go.

Esteemed Contributor

I still use a flip...........carry it primarily for emergencies in the car.  I have no need for expensive hi-tech phone- also have landline which I use 99% of the time.

$30/mo for cell

Esteemed Contributor

Still have a flip phone, too.

In Dec, 2020 all gsm phones like 3G will no longer work. According to Verizon, you must have a min 4G phone which will also force you to buy a data plan.

I'm not the most tech savvy so if someone can confirm?

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@songbird  I have  a  T Mobile flip phone. I pay 10 dollars a month on my plan. It is  AllI I need. I do not want a fancy bells and whistles phone.

@SeaMaiden   I also have a flip phone, and I agree with you.  My plan is from when I started working at a company in 1991.  It's also $10.  I have a phone only to make calls when I'm in my car (not driving) in case of an emergency.  I don't need any texting or any of that new stuff as I see too much fingering on phones and it drives me nuts.

Honored Contributor

Oh no ! means Tracfone will find us and make us take one of the

newer 4G phones that are nothing but trouble. My sister had one forced on her and no longer can she automatically look at her start up screen and see how many minutes she has left and when it's time to buy air time.

New phones you have to go into 'menu' , 'settings' all that complicated bull****. She can't get more then one bar where she lives, has had nothing but trouble with hers.  I dread it. 

They take something easy and see how complicated they can make it for the old folks who just has them for convenience and emergencies.

Respected Contributor

I too use a flip phone purchased at Target in 2016.  Service is thru Consumer Cellular.  $21./month and I can text.

I prefer to use my landline so the flip is for trips in the car or when I leave the house.  It serves its purpose for me.  I don't want anything too complicated.  I text more than I talk on it.

I hope I don't have to upgrade.  I'm not sure how many 'G's' my phone is.  I assume Consumer Cellular will let me know if the phone will no longer be serviceable.  I don't like change.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old flip phones

[ Edited ]

I still have my flip phone from years ago, it's in a drawer for safe keeping.  Sadly, we all use cell phones and I want my landline back.   My daughter buys the phones and I couldn't tell you what kind mine is, all I know is that it is a cell phone.  Woman Frustrated

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam