Honored Contributor

Re: Old Time Traditional Skills

OH, I forgot.  I canned some tomatoes once that were the best at the state fair.  Entered on a lark and mine were the purtiest!  LOL!!!

They don't taste them.  It was a beauty contest.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

This one made my wheels turn.

I can squeeze a penny until it squeaks.

Cook most anything from scratch over a fire I can build.

Purify water with a still, and buy the way, thanks to my moonshine running family in the NC mountains (home of stock car racing) I can make pretty decent 'shine' that will NOT hurt you.

Keep calm when others are in panic mode

Basic sewing with treadle if needed, we won't be stylish, but we will be covered.

Fairly high first aid for people and animals

Identify  plants that are eatable, or for teas, or for first aid

I can shoot fairly well for defense if needed

Plant and maintain a garden, can the produce, dry herbs, or beans, apples, and other fruit.

If you want meat we're out of luck.

*** blessed to spend many childhood days with my mountain Grandmother who raised 6 children alone in the depression,

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, I can knit, crochet, and sew. I used to make all of my clothes when I was younger, and things like curtains and drapes. I can also cook and bake from scratch. But I have another superpower that I always thought would be useful in a post apocalyptic world - I can teach. As a special Ed teacher I had to be familiar with different grade levels and tailor lessons to individual children. I think that's a skill that's important to keep civilization going.  

ETA. I still have my grandmother's treadle sewing machine that I learned to sew on, not that I use it anymore!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

OK, I can knit, crochet, and sew. I used to make all of my clothes when I was younger, and things like curtains and drapes. I can also cook and bake from scratch. But I have another superpower that I always thought would be useful in a post apocalyptic world - I can teach. As a special Ed teacher I had to be familiar with different grade levels and tailor lessons to individual children. I think that's a skill that's important to keep civilization going.  

@shoesnbags

You're right, it's a very important skill.  Necessary. 

Honored Contributor

Well I am in big trouble...

I can sew clothing but not on foot pump sewing machine.

I taught myself to crochet and knit as an adult.

I can ride a horse.

I can cook and love to.

I have never been camping in my life and would like to keep it that way.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Noel7

This one made my wheels turn.

I can squeeze a penny until it squeaks.

Cook most anything from scratch over a fire I can build.

Purify water with a still, and buy the way, thanks to my moonshine running family in the NC mountains (home of stock car racing) I can make pretty decent 'shine' that will NOT hurt you.

Keep calm when others are in panic mode

Basic sewing with treadle if needed, we won't be stylish, but we will be covered.

Fairly high first aid for people and animals

Identify  plants that are eatable, or for teas, or for first aid

I can shoot fairly well for defense if needed

Plant and maintain a garden, can the produce, dry herbs, or beans, apples, and other fruit.

If you want meat we're out of luck.

*** blessed to spend many childhood days with my mountain Grandmother who raised 6 children alone in the depression,

Excellant @Drythe ! 😃

Honored Contributor

Scratching my head on this one.

Can use a sewing machine, can mend sox

Have melted snow to have water (after boiling snow on the stove)

Lived through 3 whole days of no electricitiy (could that be my love of candles?)

Lived in ND 

That's all for now........

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

OH, I forgot.  I canned some tomatoes once that were the best at the state fair.  Entered on a lark and mine were the purtiest!  LOL!!!

They don't taste them.  It was a beauty contest.

Gave up on canning years ago (I'm lazy, what can I say)!  Each year my brother grows tons of tomatoes, corn and beans.  He calls when they are overwhelmed with tomatoes, and gives me bags of them.  I eat them till I'm literally sick of them and then I cut them in half, roast them (to the halfway point of what they say to do), put them in the freezer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, let them get hard so I can peel them off individually and put them in a freezer bag.  Throughout the winter I pull some out and use in lasagna, baked ziti or to freshen up spaghetti sauce.  Brings some freshness to the food in for the winter!

Respected Contributor

@Financialgrl, great idea for tomatoes! I always wanted to learn how to can, but I am terrified of contamination. I had a Microbiology professor who had a dry sense of humor-I loved her lectures. She frequently mentioned canning and the nasty diseases you can get if not done properly....I so regret not taking a hands on course when we lived in Ohio, but I had a baby at the time.

Neighbors kitchens always wowed me: their pantries were beautiful with all of those jars of homegrown goodness!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Oh here's one,

with zucchini, I've made main dish, salad, and dessert.  Talk about stretching a zucchini through a whole meal, the size of a baseball bat.