Honored Contributor

Re: Old Time Traditional Skills

@Noel7 I bought many when they first came out - through #7-8. Lost them, like so many things, in the apt fire years ago.

I don't think Appalachia has ever "done well" economy-wise, but they are rich in tradition. One of my favorite possessions was a small hand-carved, hand-painted hound dog made in the Appalachians. Gone in the fire.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio, I think we would all enjoy pictures-especially Autumn! Broad hint!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Isn't that so satisfying?   Hats off to you!

I think what's even more important as to why we use those skills.

When I tell my kids they should have a good basic understanding of physics and physical science, they just shake their heads.    When you have a good concept of how thngs work, it makes life easier and you have the desire to be physically creative or active.

I live in a part of the country where weather can be deadly.  I've learned to interpret the weather reports and to understand how I can avoid or mitigate the danger.   Now that's some skills!

I learned to ride when I was young.   But riding is more than just riding.   You learn how to saddle a horse, you learn to lead a horse, ride the horse.   Then take off the saddle and groom the horse.   It's a great activity for a young person, it teaches them more than the obvious.    It teaches them respect, patience, responsibility and discipline.

@Noel7

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Moonchilde, I am a huge fan of Craftsy and The Great Courses.....

The world can truly be yours through these avenues-on your terms....Go explore!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2, I love things like the Great Courses, but there are things I've taught myself by reading, and things I really, really need some friendly, patient soul standing over me, putting my hands in the right position and saying "no, not like that, like this."  And like I said to Noel7 - patience is not my strong suit ;-( but I never say never. I suspect that close-up needlework, crochet, etc is beyond my eyesight now. But yes, there's probably something I could learn. 

I bought beautiful, expensive colored pencils and markers, and several expensive coloring books. I did it one day; haven't done it since. Yet I can do genealogy research online for 12-14 hrs straight and never notice the time passing.

Maybe I'm an out-of-time freak - a Booming Millennial? 😜

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Noel7, I frequently think about things like this. ...there is such joy and fulfillment that comes from doing all the things you listed...I am nowhere near your knowledge and accomplishments.

I love crocheting-especially with thread,, but alas, arthritis and decreased vision make it difficult. No problem though in the long run.

I love knitting....

Weaving on a Rigid Heddle Loom is so "organic"-I have been doing it for about five years and there is always something new to learn.

I can cook and bake from scratch: I am repeatedly amazed how many people have no idea....

I have always loved art-used to do pen and ink with a quill....I am now taking a rather extensive drawing course on Craftsy. I love it!

I recently discovered how wonderful and versatile colored pencils are-and I discovered adult coloring books which I used to dismiss as garbage....and no, they aren't....Totally relaxation-and I swear they help me with fine motor skills.

I have thought about spinning....we now own a sheep. This is Florida however, and we aren't talking about quality Highlands wool here. I recently read an article on Mielke's Fiber Arts fortnightly newsletter about using "trash" wool. It has its uses!

I am thinking about buying a drop spindle and some nice clean roving: inexpensive things....just to try it.

I don't know that I want to do the "dye" thing as I call it....Carding? We have had two poodles....I think I could do it....

Please tell me more about spinning...

There is absolutely a "spinning" craft zone if you will....

There is just a simple pure joy and sense of accomplishment I feel when I'm doing these things. I just feel so connected to human history....

Great topic!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

You have so many incredible skills!  I remember carding, and FYI, before I forget, there are people who spin cat fur, dog fur too, I imagine. 

I have trouble with my hands, too, including a broken finger on my dominant hand.  I haven't used the spinning wheel for quite awhile, I keep what I last spun on it as a reminder.

Crocheting gave me that same feeling you mentioned, you get in a zone and it's addictive.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

About 25 years ago, we chose to move to the country (was more countryfied back then, but has developed a bit, mostly Amish) in order to be able to be more self sufficient.

We grow a huge garden and can the harvest (less now that kiddo is grown and gone). An average garden for us has tomatoes (10 varieties at least), peppers (lots of varieties), potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, onions (several kinds), cabbage, broccoli, cucumbers, pumpkins, watermelon, zucchini, yellow squash, beets, peas, radishes, lettuce, spinach, and sometimes other things. 

We also maintain a small fruit orchard,apples (several varieties) that we make cider and applesauce with, pears (several varieties), blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches. 

We have room for chickens, but I know that the work would end up being mine, so I veto that every time, but my husband has kept them before and knows how.

We have a pond, and can fish it but don't. I can fish and clean fish, though. I don't really care for fish, so it isn't something I do often.

I can shoot. To hunt or defend.

I can sew only well enough to mend something or replace a button. I can crochet, but pretty bad at that too. Considering learning more about crocheting.

I can build a fire, and cut wood. We sometimes heat with wood during a power outage.

I can live without electric (CAN but don't want to!) because we have water without power, and sewage without power, and heat without power.

My son can hunt and butcher. I've never done it, but it isn't something that I'm grossed out by or wouldn't learn if I thought I needed to.

I can cook from scratch. That is becoming more of a lost art these days.

I can make change, do math without a calculator, and dial a rotary phone (truly, young kids don't know what to do with one!! LOL).

@Mominohio

Unfortunately, we live in a coastal area with a lot of sand, not good earth for growing much of anything.  I used to have a fabulous antique herb garden that I used in cooking, but I was always fighting the sand and it got to be too much.

My specialties were lemon verbania and other varieties of verbania.

Respected Contributor

@ Moonchilde, uunleash your creative self! Let her go explore... you don't have to sit through entire lectures-pause and stop...revisit.... crafting and "making" is not limited...skills can be learned.

I love your photography-so much inspiration! Challenge yourself! Kind of an inside joke, but we have discussed CBD and other "derivatives", but hand crafts-whatever they are-just take you away....

I hope that tonight, you bring out your coloring books again-with your pencils.

My wish for you would be to gift you a set of Prismacolor pencils...amaze yourself!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Isn't that so satisfying?   Hats off to you!

I think what's even more important as to why we use those skills.

When I tell my kids they should have a good basic understanding of physics and physical science, they just shake their heads.    When you have a good concept of how thngs work, it makes life easier and you have the desire to be physically creative or active.

I live in a part of the country where weather can be deadly.  I've learned to interpret the weather reports and to understand how I can avoid or mitigate the danger.   Now that's some skills!

I learned to ride when I was young.   But riding is more than just riding.   You learn how to saddle a horse, you learn to lead a horse, ride the horse.   Then take off the saddle and groom the horse.   It's a great activity for a young person, it teaches them more than the obvious.    It teaches them respect, patience, responsibility and discipline.

@Noel7

Absolutely @software

I spent many hours in a stable run by a childhood friend of my father.

Honored Contributor

And now I am off to start the party.

I love reading about the skills of others, a talented group Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Poodlepet2 😍

I'd forgotten about photography. I don't really think about it, I just do it because I love it and love to share, but people do tell me they like it, so that always makes me happy.

Hand work has never made me all that happy; brain work does. I'm not wired to have manual dexterity or clever fingers. Since childhood I've had issues with balance and flexibiity, as well as depth perception and binocular vision. Never roller skated, ice skated, rode a bike, played sports, etc. I could chalk it up to arthritis now, but it's always been there. 

But taking a Great Religions course, or Ancient History, or similar, and I'm in for hours.