Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old ELVIS movies on TCM this afternoon.....

I agree with BeckiWV, he was not that bad of an actor in some of his movies. But they didn't give him much opportunity to show it. I especially liked King Creole and Jailhouse Rock -- they had more of a story line and he could display a lot more emotion than the silly "musicals" they put him in.

"Heartbreak Hotel" is one of my favorites of his early songs. I remember someone telling me back in the early 60's that he was just another "here today and gone tomorrow" singer. I laughed at the guy who said that, and I was right!

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Shelbelle said:

If ever in Memphis take the Graceland tour. I was never an Elvis fan, but the tour is wonderful.

I was fortunate to be able to do the tour several years ago. I don't live anywhere near that part of the country so, when I went to visit somebody for a week, it was one thing I hoped to do even though it was a couple hours drive away.

I just loved it. I took so many pictures! I have to dig those out. I know I have them saved on an old hard drive and, probably, a CD.

The graves! :'( But the 'mansion' was amazingly cool. I was rather shocked at how big it was NOT. I guess I expected a huge mansion and, probably, for that time it was.

Valued Contributor

that sounds like a lot of fun and memories! Unfortunately, I'm on my way out to do errands. Smiley Sad
Super Contributor

His movies were pretty much all the same but different characters and settings. My mom LOVES Elvis and especially the movie Blue Hawaii. The only thing I remember about that movie is Angela Landsbury saying "Chadwiiiiick!"

We took a family vacation to Memphis several years ago and I was very underwhelmed by Graceland.

I do like some Elvis songs, but I'm certainly not enamored with him like some people in my mom's generation.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 SnowPink said:

His movies were pretty much all the same but different characters and settings. My mom LOVES Elvis and especially the movie Blue Hawaii. The only thing I remember about that movie is Angela Landsbury saying "Chadwiiiiick!"

We took a family vacation to Memphis several years ago and I was very underwhelmed by Graceland.

I do like some Elvis songs, but I'm certainly not enamored with him like some people in my mom's generation.

I am surprised you were underwhelmed. the memorbelia in the basement was wonderful, seeing the house in its original decor also interesting. The plane and the graves in the back yard, we all found very interesting. I have been on many tours, this was one of my faves.

Super Contributor

My mom LOVES Elvis and even she was underwhelmed by Graceland.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/8/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 1/8/2015 Shelbelle said:

If ever in Memphis take the Graceland tour. I was never an Elvis fan, but the tour is wonderful.

I was fortunate to be able to do the tour several years ago. I don't live anywhere near that part of the country so, when I went to visit somebody for a week, it was one thing I hoped to do even though it was a couple hours drive away.

I just loved it. I took so many pictures! I have to dig those out. I know I have them saved on an old hard drive and, probably, a CD.

The graves! :'( But the 'mansion' was amazingly cool. I was rather shocked at how big it was NOT. I guess I expected a huge mansion and, probably, for that time it was.

There was a guy on the radio today talking about Graceland and he also said that it was not a huge mansion.

I agree with you that probably for the time it was built it was big. I think Elvis grew up in a pretty small house, so maybe it was all the mansion he needed. If he had lived, he might moved up to something else by now.

The radio guy also said that seeing Graceland was really a tour worth taking. Smiley Happy

I would just love to go see it.

Honored Contributor

Elvis was one of those singers who never hit a bad note.

I LOVED Blue Hawaii and remember going to a matinee with my sister when we were in elementary school. We both wanted to move to Hawaii, or at the very least, get married there.

Honored Contributor

The comeback special wearing that black leather. OMG.
Valued Contributor

I found this posted on my facebook page. Hopefully, it works as I am so not good at this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/photos/elvis-presley-years-28062991/image-28095147