Honored Contributor

Oklahoma Residents Leave Water Out For Mail Carriers During Heatwave :)

HuffPost.com 8/18/15

Signed, sealed, delivered -- it’s hot out!

Residents in The Village, Oklahoma, are helping to keep mail carriers cool amid this summer’s heat wave by putting out coolers of icy cold drinks, KOCO reported.

Select homeowners are attaching cheery handwritten notes to their hydration stations, encouraging carriers to take their fill and stay safe in the scorching heat.

“It’s got to be rough for them,” resident Tracey Beaves told KOCO. “I almost suffered from a heat spell earlier in the week. I don’t know how they do it.”

The Village, which is just north of Oklahoma City, has experienced extreme temperatures this summer, with the Emergency Medical Services Authority issuing multiple Heat Alerts since June, KFOR and Fox 25 reported.

While local news channels have issued tips for how to stay safe in the heat, mail carriers must continue with their jobs, which inspired The Village’s kind initiative.

“Everybody talked about watching yourself out there, watching out for your animals and stuff, but no one's said anything about the mailman,” Beaves told KOCO.

Beaves said she first saw someone share a post on Facebook about leaving water out for mail carriers, and the idea grew into a neighborhood project.

After leaving a note on her cooler, Beaves found a handwritten message thanking her.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Oklahoma Residents Leave Water Out For Mail Carriers During Heatwave :)

i had said this on another thread...... anyone who does work at my home is told right away that they have access to the refrigerators in the garage and can take any water, soda, iced tea, drink that they want. if i see the postal carrier or the ups driver i usually offer them one also.......

i also let  them in to use the powder room.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have asked mine if they want a cold drink, and they always say they carry coolers of ice water in their truck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People in Oklahoma take care of one another!  It's just the way we do things.  Woman Very Happy

We know how to help out; and we always are grateful when someone helps us out so we say "thanks" and mean it. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have asked mine if they want a cold drink, and they always say they carry coolers of ice water in their truck.

hi shel! hope you are doing well!

they occasionally take me up on the offer, but most of them are already prepared for the heat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I too ask all my carriers (mail, UPS, & FedEx) who come to the office during hot times if they want a bottle of water or a soft drink.  Sometimes yes and sometimes no, but they all know to help themselves to the hard candy dish in my reception area. 

None of the carriers have ever taken advantage of even the open candy dishes.  Very happy to get drinks and some days you can tell by looking they really need it.  Texas Heat!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I leave a frozen bottle of water in my mailbox every day for my mail person. I have done this for years. She is so thankful and tells me that bottle is saved for her ride home. I also offer to ups and fed ex if I see them. It's just a nice thing to do.

Honored Contributor

I agree that the people of Oklahoma are the best when it comes to helping others.My son went to law school there and and never moved back to Washington state.He has received much help from others during bad weather situations and when his relationship with his long time GF ended.Friends rallied around and kept him busy with invitations to dinner for the first couple of weeks.I just love the people of Oklahoma for how nice they have been to my son.If a person is in need of help there will be plenty to go around. 

Respected Contributor

Our USPS carriers as well as UPS and Fedex drivers carry their own water.  

Esteemed Contributor

I always ask my mail carrier, UPS or Fed Ex delivery person if they want a bottle of water.  They are very appreciative even if they don't take it.