Regular Contributor

Oklahoma Ranks 4th in the U.S. in the Number of HORSES! 2nd in Quarter Horses!

Is this a great state or what?????   Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Oklahoma Ranks 4th in the U.S. in the Number of HORSES! 2nd in Quarter Horses!

@SoonerLater wrote:

@SoonerLater 

Many years ago I heard that there were more dog owners there than anywhere else. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Regular Contributor

Re: Oklahoma Ranks 4th in the U.S. in the Number of HORSES! 2nd in Quarter Horses!

Texas, California and Florida have more, Kentucky fewer.  But have fewer people, so more horses for everyone!  LOL!!!!

Respected Contributor

i love Quarter Horses!  i was into Barrel Racing as a teen.   Ooh my shins always seemed to hit the edge of the barrel. 

Used to get a magazine. Quarter Horse Journal or something? 

Regular Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@SoonerLater wrote:

@SoonerLater 

Many years ago I heard that there were more dog owners there than anywhere else. Heart

@just bee LOL!!!  How could you count dogs?  Maybe "tagged" dogs?  But we're talking owners, so I guess it IS tagged dogs!  Who would have thought?  

Regular Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

i love Quarter Horses!  i was into Barrel Racing as a teen.   Ooh my shins always seemed to hit the edge of the barrel. 

@CatsyCline Quarter Horse are 41 percent, Thoroughbreds 17 percent and "others" the rest.  And I would have loved to barrel race!  That looks like such fun.

I read Western Horseman all my growing up years and we had horses. . . I miss them so much.  

Respected Contributor

@SoonerLater wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@CatsyCline Quarter Horse are 41 percent, Thoroughbreds 17 percent and "others" the rest.  And I would have loved to barrel race!  That looks like such fun.

I read Western Horseman all my growing up years and we had horses. . . I miss them so much.  

@SoonerLater   that's the magazine!   i used to send drawings in for submission.  after several times and the pictures were never published, i complained (13 yrs old i  guess)   . then they published my name and a few lines i had written about the horse culture on Long  Island. We had a LI branch of AQHA and they held horse shows.  Western riding has sort of fallen by the wayside. i miss horses - there is a boarding farm down the road but looks only - no touch.

Esteemed Contributor

@SoonerLater 

Good for the Sooner State. Don't have a clue where my State, not that far from there, ranks. I do know that my older sister has owned quarter horses much of her adult life.

Because of her age, now 88 years old, I think she is down to 2 of them. Still does all the work in the barn/stable/outdoor and indoor riding rings(or is it rinks?).

One of my good hockey friends owns/breeds and his daughters compete with their quarter horses. Me! Ain't no way my sis will ever again get me on a horse again. When young she pulled that trick on me and I will never forget the ride(?).

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yes, kudos to all who love horses.  

Surprised to see 5 of the top 10 states producing and owning the most horses are in eastern United States.  

Regular Contributor

@CatsyCline I had my name listed in the pen pal section of Western Horseman and got TONS of responses!  I wrote to 3 for a long time, one up until a few years ago--got her on facebook!  I got so many letters the postman came to the door to find out what was going on. 

Western riding and quarter horses are very much alive out here!  Oklahoma City has lots of horse shows.  A few years ago I met David Yurman's wife at a jewelry store, she was just shopping, and David was out at the arena getting a lesson from Lyle Lovett.  Western reining as I remember.  Who knew?  She helped me pick out a necklace.  Yurman of course!