Honored Contributor

Re: Ok...who's started shopping for Christmas 2017?

LOL @Mominohio

it COULD be for you......you never know, but you have to be a good girl all year! Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

That brings up s side topic- I enjoy buying and thinking of things that would please others but I FORGET what I buy and where I put it. I need suggestions. I think of where to put things but then it won't fit because of odd size it I don't get it in right place. Suggestions appreciated 😀
Respected Contributor

Heck, I'm still finding gifts I bought and forgot.............hubs just delivered a coupleof gifts we found in the garage LOL......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@twins mom wrote:
That brings up s side topic- I enjoy buying and thinking of things that would please others but I FORGET what I buy and where I put it. I need suggestions. I think of where to put things but then it won't fit because of odd size it I don't get it in right place. Suggestions appreciated 😀

@Twins Mom- I use the closet in our office and a chest of drawers in our office. That's it. Gifts go nowhere else except those two places, both in the same room. 

In addition to my iPhone, I also still have my old Day Runner portfolio thingy. At the start of the year, in the memo pages section, I write each person's name down that we'll be giving gifts to. Space down a few lines and put the next person's name, etc. Then, as I buy a gift, I write it down next to their name. When I'm done with each person, I cross through their name. Very easy. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I'm a good listener and I usually know what people on my gift list likes. This past Christmas was a good one, everyone loved their gifts that I gave out. I don't plan on shopping for Christmas but if I can get a good price and I know that a certain family member or friend would love that item, then I buy it. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

After Jan 1st, all I think about is Spring coming!

Honored Contributor

I was out on Saturday and bought the gifts for one of my close friends.  And I already have the gift for another close friend, that I bought before Christmas for this year's Christmas!  I keep everything in the same closet, so no chance of things getting lost or forgotten.

When I see something I like, I buy it.  I've learned the hard way that, if I don't, I won't find it again when I want it.  I buy handmade items, so it's not like I can just order them from any retailer.

My family stopped exchanging gifts several years ago, so only one more person to buy for and I'm done.  Hurrah!

Honored Contributor

In the past I used to wait until after Christmas to buy all the gift wrap and other seasonal things when they got marked down to practically free. Not so much any more. I've really trimmed down the gift giving over the years and my need for anything related to that has gone by the wayside. I don't even decorate anymore so no need to buy ornaments and such either. 

All in all, I don't find the need to shop early for Christmas anymore. Most people I give to get money or gift cards.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't want to hear the words Holiday/Christmas shopping until after Thanksgiving 2017!! Kaput I'm done!! Now I get to spoil me for a change!!

Respected Contributor

Comments really get me to thinking.  Is it the producers and sellers who are giving us the impression that we have so much and many to buy for, thus getting us in the buying frenzie?  Do we end up buying for ourselves more than for others, possibly for things that we know that we need and the sales and timing just suit us?  I know that I buy for myself  because it's hard enough to buy things to fit others.  I bring things home in various sizes and have family members try on to see if I am on the right track.  The purchases are NOT a surpirse at Christmas, but at least I know it might fit and I won't be disappointed when I go to find the size I need.  Maybe that's the chicken way out, but that's what I do.  As for number of people that I have to purchase for?  Principally the immediate family.  Outsiders usually get cash/gift cards.