Honored Contributor

Ok on the coffee thing, Keurig

Ok, hubby has the big one, now the company is supposed to send a part so it doesn't malfunction and blow up I guess. Then he had a smaller one before that, that he's gone back to but likes the larger one. So now he thinks the one with the carafe would be a good idea. But he's having trouble locally finding coffee to work in them, so he has to order on line. He got them on the Q.

He can get this last one for less but this seems like it is beginning to be a bit much!! He does like it, I don't drink it from there, but I have and I can. I guess if my MC goes to pot, so to speak, then we could get it.

Does anyone have this going on, should we go to a third one? I know it's our choice, but since I don't usually drink from it, and he has a working one, I'm not really in favor of a 3rd one.

So My question is, is it really so good, it's a decent purchase? I do like coffee.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ok on the coffee thing, Keurig

I guess I am have been fortunate....I have had several Keurigs...various sizes and configurations.....never had a problem with any of them....actually have passed them on to others when I upgraded...they are all still working just fine...

I have the current one...2.0...with the carafe...I haven't used the carafe...so I haven't looked for the larger kups locally....

I am guessing your husband checked out Kohls...Target...Walmart....they all sell the 2.0 models....they should carry the kups to go with...

Honored Contributor

Circles,

Thanks, we discussed it and we're going to hold off about 1-2 months and rethink this. Appreciate it though, thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a 6 year old Keurig at home. There are no bells or whistles, but it works perfectly and takes any K-Cup.

I have a 3 month old Keurig with the timer at work. It works fine and takes any K-Cup.

When I got the one for work, I opted not to get the 2.0 because of the restrictions.

I agree with Circles, check your local stores. You can get K-Cups where you buy the Keurigs.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I have the new 2.0 with the carafe, and all my local stores have the k-carafes for sale. If your stores don't carry them, I'm guessing they will soon. If not, ask the manager to bring them in. If enough people ask for them, I'm sure they'll be on the shelf in no time.

One thing about the carafe that comes with the new Keurig model is it is not insulated. It's just a cheap plastic pot, which we found to be disappointing. If you want a thermal carafe, you can purchase one separately from Keurig.com (and probably other retailers) for $30. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

The other thing about the carafe is it doesn't hold/make as much coffee as I would like. My DH and I normally drink 2 cups of coffee each = 4 cups, right? But 4 cups in the carafe doesn't make enough coffee for both of us. I guess we need to get smaller mugs or cut down on the caffeine!

I'm still glad we made the purchase, but it would be nice if, at the very least, they included a real thermal carafe with the machine.

Respected Contributor

You do know that there is a hack for the issues with being able to use k-cups from other vendors and/or use the solo cup refill my-k-cup ones. Just google Keurig k-cup hack. There are tons of videos.

Valued Contributor

I'm sorry you're dealing with this problem with your machine. We have been very lucky with ours. We are currently on machine #2. We had #1 for probably 5-6 years (or more). It started having some problems a few months ago and after going through all the fixes, we decided to get a new one. I LOVE my Keurig. And in general, I've not had any of these issues I read about here and there.

Super Contributor

I got the single small one to take to my aunts at tgiving and xmas. Sending back. Too much trouble to wait!!!!ha I have 2 reglar size ones and love them. I will take the oldest one to travel, her coffee is awful, decaf. Used to get a traveler from Starbucks but rather have my Keurig.
Respected Contributor

I would not get a third one. If you already have a Keurig you can buy a coffee maker with a carafe that makes more coffee, cost less than Keurig 2.0, and use any coffee you like. Amazon has lots of different brands and price ranges. Another advanage is that you can grind your own beans and get a better cup of coffee.

Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Vamp said:

I have the new 2.0 with the carafe, and all my local stores have the k-carafes for sale. If your stores don't carry them, I'm guessing they will soon. If not, ask the manager to bring them in. If enough people ask for them, I'm sure they'll be on the shelf in no time.

One thing about the carafe that comes with the new Keurig model is it is not insulated. It's just a cheap plastic pot, which we found to be disappointing. If you want a thermal carafe, you can purchase one separately from Keurig.com (and probably other retailers) for $30. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

The other thing about the carafe is it doesn't hold/make as much coffee as I would like. My DH and I normally drink 2 cups of coffee each = 4 cups, right? But 4 cups in the carafe doesn't make enough coffee for both of us. I guess we need to get smaller mugs or cut down on the caffeine!

I'm still glad we made the purchase, but it would be nice if, at the very least, they included a real thermal carafe with the machine.

Well it is insulated, but it's like any plastic thermos and works better if you put hot water in it first. The SS one doesn't work any better if you start with a cold pot.

I've used the carafes three or four times now and I buy the cups at Walmart. They seem to be getting in more choices all the time. I like the 3-4 cup setting as the 5-6 is far too weak for me. I usually use it if I'm going to go downstairs first thing and it really is only a couple cups if you use a large cup. That's perfect for me.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*