Honored Contributor

Re: Ok guess I am really old......”influencer?”

Anyone who goes on YouTube or Instagram and is in the beauty, clothing or decor field PRAYS to be an "influencer" because of the perks. The money in contracts is astounding. The free STUFF is over the top. You get paid thousands JUST to say things. It's a VERY big deal because it is very lucrative.

You can google or search on YouTube regarding the money and the back-stabbing that goes on (especially in the beauty world of YouTube) to see why it's so vicious...the MONEY. When it became known how much and for what these "gurus" or "influencers" can pull in, the topic of losing faith in "influencers" made me laugh: did you REALLY think these people were not getting something for pushing stuff?! Apparently, yes. 

In summary, anyone with a channel, a following; who proclaims they are an "influencer" or "guru" is simply someone shilling something and they ARE being compensated. Having a good friend who has a YouTube channel/Instagram and is all about her "brand"  has provided insight into that world. BTW, corporate America spends A LOT of money and time on these folks vs traditional advertising. 

It really is a BIG deal.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Influencer??  Is that an actual job description?  Can you really get a degree in influencing? 

'''

no, but you can get a degree in advertising or marketing or business management......being an influencer is pretty much being an advertiser or a marketer. influencers basically rely on social media to get it all possible information out there to the public.

not sure why anyone has such disdain for them?

I only have disdain for them if they're making money while lying.  There's a woman on IG who makes a fortune pushing a minimalist lifestyle that showcases all the new stuff she gets while saying she and hubby aren't attached to stuff.  To make it worse, her main job is being a stylist.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

American consumerism is based on lies. 😂 Every day. 😂
Honored Contributor

The word “influencer” rubs me the wrong way. These young women are paid by companies to rave about a product, even if it’s all baloney. And naive people fall for it. Woman Surprised  l will not be “influenced,” lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Influencer??  Is that an actual job description?  Can you really get a degree in influencing? 

'''

no, but you can get a degree in advertising or marketing or business management......being an influencer is pretty much being an advertiser or a marketer. influencers basically rely on social media to get it all possible information out there to the public.

I only have disdain for them if they're making money while lying.  There's a woman on IG who makes a fortune pushing a minimalist lifestyle that showcases all the new stuff she gets while saying she and hubby aren't attached to stuff.  To make it worse, her main job is being a stylist.

@Blahblahvampemer  who is the IG influencer?

perhaps one persons minimalist lifestyle is different than another persons idea of being a minimalist?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

'''

@Blahblahvampemer  who is the IG influencer?

perhaps one persons minimalist lifestyle is different than another persons idea of being a minimalist?

I won't name her on here, but from her photos and comments, she's a pretty severe minimalist.  Bare counters, fairly empty pantry, nothing on the tables, closets are under the roofline...etc.  The house she and hubby designed is rather large given that the place is only a one bedroom/one bath.  She does have a she shed for styling purposes, and the garage is huge, two stories.  She's on her second couch, second coffee table...there's a constant flow of new stuff, and things she praised are long gone.  Or in storage.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer 

not sure why you wont name her if she is all over social media?

i am interested in taking a look.

of course, that is your choice.

if anyone else knows who she may be referring to, please let me know. thanks!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

There's a post in the Book Club forum on a book called:

Influencer: Building Your Personal Brand in the Age of Social Media.

I posted this a few days ago ... You might want to read Gardenman's replies.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Book-Club/quot-Influencer-quot/m-p/5671877#M23380

From the blurb at Amazon:

If you’ve ever scrolled through your Instagram feed and thought, I wear clothes, eat avocado toast and like sunsets, why can’t someone pay me to live my best life? this book is for you . . .

Every one of your favorite influencers started with zero followers and had to make a lot of mistakes to get where they are today—earning more money each year than their parents made in the last decade. But to become a top creator, you need to understand the strategies behind the Insta-ready lifestyle . . .

As nightlife blogger, then social media strategist, and now Senior Director of Influencer Strategy and Talent Partnerships at Hearst Magazines Digital Media, Brittany Hennessy has seen the role of influencers evolve and expand into something that few could have imagined when social media first emerged. 

Contributor

and the influencers all look alike.