Honored Contributor

Ok, any childhood Christmas stories from you?

Just wanted to share a cute story my husband told me about. When his folk's would go somewhere, he'd get his wrapped presents out from under the tree. He would then proceed to weigh the present and look through the catalog (remember Sears?) and by Christmas he said he knew every gift.

If anyone else has similar type of stories, that's what would be fun to share and read. Any story this year would be nice I think.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Ok, any childhood Christmas stories from you?

That is so funny. Did he grow up to be a detective, lol?

My memories are that it was the happiest time of my life. In grade school it was singing in a play in the school cafeteria, all the standard beautiful Christmas carols, and fellow classmates in a hand made creche, with everything but live animals-forget who they used for the baby Jesus-and my parents being in the audience. I thought I would burst from being so happy.

In high school, Eartha Kitt singing Santa Baby and asking for a light blue convertible, which I had, hahaha. And getting cashmere sweaters under the tree, and Shalimar perfume which I wanted forever. All happy thoughts, and it truly was a kinder, gentler time. Make no mistake about it Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Re: Ok, any childhood Christmas stories from you?

I have many fond memories of this time of the year. We always had a real tree(artificial didn't exist)so about 2weeks before my father,sister and I would go to the market to buy one. The scent of those trees was heavenly. The workers would have huge 20 gallon drums filled with the scrap evergreens used to make wreaths and then light them for heat. Oh,the smell was great. Once home, the excitement of decorating the tree with our simple decorations was fun.( I am 65 and still have some of these decorations.What memories). We had a small train set for underneath the tree. My father wanted us to have one even though he had 2 girls. One year we pop corn and strung it for garland. Since we went to Catholic school, we had Christmas plays, gave cards to our classmates and each girl and boy bought a gift and placed them in a decorated box(in those days we were 63 or more in a class). Those nuns kept us in place. I remember the nuns giving us those hard Christmas candies. We thought it was great. Baking cookies with our mother and helping our father decorate outside.(he would pick the coldest day to do it) The best memories are of the entire family together for the eve and Christmas Day and Santa making an appearance.(always an uncle dressed up in the suit.One year he forgot to put the boots on and I recognized his shoes. The magic was over). Now making memories with my children and grandchildren. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.Make some memories