Honored Contributor

Re: Ok, I'll start a thread and I don't care who likes it!😁

@pupwhipped  Seriously....no PBJ sandwich!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@pupwhipped  Seriously....no PBJ sandwich!!!

@Mom2Dogs, I  know, I know...werid. But sadly, no. As I kid I could really tear into a tuna fish sandwich though. 😋

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@chickenbutt In science, a fruit is the part of the plant that contains the seeds. Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, okra, green peppers, string beans. It does not mater whether the part tastes sweet or not. In grocery store marketing, these same items might be labeled as vegetables.

@Mindy D@chickenbutt,

I also read that its a fruit if it comes from a flowering plant and has seeds.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I have despised okra from the time that i was a child, My mother would boil it and try to force me to eat it. Let's just say it didn't end well. I will not touch it anyway it is cooked. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:
I have never tried it. I have no idea what you would eat with it? Do you put them in omelets?

@JamandBreadFried okra is a side dish in the South.  You use it as a vegetable (even though it's evidently a fruit) and is an essential ingredient in Okra gumbo. (Gumbo is like a soup.)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@pupwhipped  What ??? Are you serious ??  Did you grow up in the U>S  or somewhere else. In public school growing up Friday was vegetable soup day and peanut butter jelly sandwiches for lunch in the cafeteria. I myself am diabetic, so my jelly is made with splenda, smuckers i think makes the best sugar free jelly.

@webbgarner1, I know, BIZARRE at best! I assure you I'm as Southern and American as they come. HA! But my mother never made pb&j sandwiches. And 99% of the time she came and picked me up from school for lunch and I ate at home. The only time I wanted to eat in the lunchroom was when they served sloppy joes or chicken and dressing. Bizarre, yet again. LOL! Growing up we did eat a lot of peanut butter between two saltine crackers though. Does that count? Woman Very Happy     

NO!!  Woman LOL

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

here is a great jambalaya recipe that i use if anyone wants to try OKRA! and if you want to leave it out, it is still a great recipe. Smiley Wink

Jambalaya Recipe - Dinner at the Zoo

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Have we all forgotten about the lowly eggplant?  Wouldn't that be considered a fruit as it does have seeds.  I know it is in the nightshade family along with tomatoes and peppers.

Another item I came across awhile ago was regarding corn.  It is actually a seed of a plant so it is considered a fruit.  Who knew?  Sometimes things can get confused between nuts, seeds, legumes and such.  Like a peanut isn't a nut, it's a legume.

Regarding slicing sandwiches on the diagonal.  I do enjoy a grilled cheese sliced on the diagonal, but if I eat a regular sandwich, I prefer a straight cut across - either vertical or horizontal.  Something about the crust ratio.  Of course this would depend on the type of bread, but a basic wheat or white bread that has the heavier thicker crust on the top portion - I kinda like to have that onto its own and not intermingled with the thinner crusts of the slice. 

I do think slicing on the diagonal is more elegant and looks fancier though. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay  What a fun thread!Smiley Happy Never knew okra was a fruit. Live and learn.

I love okra. One of the benefits of having had an Aunt that lived in Virginia. We visited her every summer and she made tons of it. She had a farm. Fresh corn too. You could have eaten the corn raw. So sweet. All that white corn milk dripping down your face right in the field.

She made her okra fried with cornmeal. When I make okra, I like to fry a small piece of yellow onion, fresh cut up tomatoes with skin and seeds and the okra in some good olive oil. Dash of salt. Yum. Perfect side dish for fried chicken, porkchops and steak.

Oh man, I am so hungry now.Woman Very Happy

Growing up, I never had PB&J either. Pretty sure the first one I had, I was in my twentys. Go figure. We never even had PB in the house. Funny how we all grew up different.

I love a good PB&J now. Lightly toasted wheat bread, chunky PB on one side and jelly right on top of the PB. Always diagonal cut. Cause you know, it's fancy. lol

I like grape jelly but prefer strawberry jam. Smuckers.

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop, the diagonal cut is fancy. I always thought that too lol!

You actually made the okra sound good!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"