Honored Contributor

Ok, I'll start a thread and I don't care who likes it!😁

First of all I don't like okra. It's slimey.

Now, we may have learned by now that okra like tomatoes and avacados are biologically classified as fruits but used as vegetables!😳

Not that it matters right? But it is interesting. At least I think so.

And as some posters pointed out, okra, (the fruit), is pronounced the way it looks-okrah or sounds like Oprah!

The color ochre as some pointed out is correctly pronounced ok r, as an American would say it, where in Great Britain they say ok a.

Who knew?

or maybe some of you are thinking

who the h cares lol!

Well, at any rate now that we have solved this priority, we can move on to other more interesting threads.

but for those of us semantic, linguistic, pronunciation, etc lovers, this could make our day!

Stay well, all and keep on keeping on!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Ok, I'll start a thread and I don't care who likes it!😁

Well, I learned something new!  I did not know that okra is considered to be a fruit.

I haven't had it in forever, but I used to make fried okra and I liked that.   But to just eat the slimy okra, no thanks.  I'm with you there.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like okra both the slimey and the fried. I prefer to cook the whole pods when boiling rather than sliced pieces. The sliced and breaded is excellent fried. Usually no slime when frying.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

may as well talk fruit & veggies  or joggers vs PJ's all day long since many  more impactful real world topics  are off limits  from discussion .

Honored Contributor

Fruit, vegetable or wrapped in gold I just cannot stomach the stuff.  Looks, smells and tastes nasty.  Pair it with liver and I will not eat for a week.  My Mom loved both and served it way too many times in my childhood.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Move on to more interesting things, you say? There 's nothing more interesting to me, than learning okra is a fruit, after all my years enjoying it as a favorite veggie -- slimy, fried, bring it on. Who knew? Well done, @on the bay

Respected Contributor

I remember okra being on the label of campbells vegetable soup but other than that I never ate it.

Trusted Contributor

I have never tried it. I have no idea what you would eat with it? Do you put them in omelets?
Honored Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:
I have never tried it. I have no idea what you would eat with it? Do you put them in omelets?

@JamandBread 

we make a stew out of it to serve with rice.

it is also a main ingredient in jambalaya.

i never knew it was classified as a fruit?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Thank you, it's a good topic.  I've never had okra, though I like veggies, but the fried aspect is kind of a turn-off.