Honored Contributor

Re: Ok, I'll start a thread and I don't care who likes it!😁

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt In science, a fruit is the part of the plant that contains the seeds. Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, okra, green peppers, string beans. It does not mater whether the part tastes sweet or not. In grocery store marketing, these same items might be labeled as vegetables.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@chickenbutt In science, a fruit is the part of the plant that contains the seeds. 

Ah, I see.  Thanks for that info! Smiley Happy  I like to learn things - even though I will probably forget most these days.   ack!  Smiley Very Happy

So, does that mean that something like (for example) zucchini would be considered the fruit of the plant because there are seeds in there, but still considered a veg on its own?

Respected Contributor

I'm a Northern girl, married a Southern boy...I never ate okra growing up, although we always ate veggies from our large garden.  I don't usually care for okra in stews or soups (except maybe in Brunswick stew) - too slimey, but I do like it fried in a light cornmeal type batter.  Happy New Year, everyone!!!

Trusted Contributor

@On It  That is some good eating there !!!

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay  Fruit, vegetable, doesn't matter. I'm with you; okra is slimy and nasty and it makes me want to 🤮. Yuck! 

Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEAN  Love you post. I made my pbandj sandwiches exactly as you did. 

Respected Contributor

It just occurred to me as this thread meandered that I've been eating okra all my life but I have never eaten a PB&J sandwich.😲😲😲

Trusted Contributor

@pupwhipped  What ??? Are you serious ??  Did you grow up in the U>S  or somewhere else. In public school growing up Friday was vegetable soup day and peanut butter jelly sandwiches for lunch in the cafeteria. I myself am diabetic, so my jelly is made with splenda, smuckers i think makes the best sugar free jelly.

Respected Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@pupwhipped  What ??? Are you serious ??  Did you grow up in the U>S  or somewhere else. In public school growing up Friday was vegetable soup day and peanut butter jelly sandwiches for lunch in the cafeteria. I myself am diabetic, so my jelly is made with splenda, smuckers i think makes the best sugar free jelly.

@webbgarner1, I know, BIZARRE at best! I assure you I'm as Southern and American as they come. HA! But my mother never made pb&j sandwiches. And 99% of the time she came and picked me up from school for lunch and I ate at home. The only time I wanted to eat in the lunchroom was when they served sloppy joes or chicken and dressing. Bizarre, yet again. LOL! Growing up we did eat a lot of peanut butter between two saltine crackers though. Does that count? Woman Very Happy     

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have only eaten okra once when I was about 10 or 11 and had been invited to eat dinner at a friends house.  I was well taught as a child about the "thank-you bite" so I ate it but never again!