Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
Social distancing isn't as important when wearing a mask the dentist and staff can wear long sleeves underneath their uniforms too.

Thus the false sense of security because you are wearing a mask.  Health care workers have been getting sick all along even with PPE.

@CrazyDaisy, there is absolutely no way you can compare the risk between a  citizen walking around in a crowd with a mask and a health care worker taking care of Covid-19 patients.  Those health care professionals are down in those patients' faces having respiratory secretions spewed on them while they are intubating the patient, a patient on a ventilator has to be suctioned via that endotracheal tube, etc.  Not to mention that you have to turn and position those patients all the time.  

And speaking from a lot of experience I can tell you that when you turn someone from their back to their stomach or stomach to back, they start to cough, gag, etc.  Even when sedated.  Those secretions are going everywhere.

Then try doing CPR on one of the those patients.  And they did it sometime 6-7 times a shift. 

Not to mention that those health care professionals were only given one mask and gown for a day.  No changing in between patients and having to rewrite every rule we had for infection control previously.

No way you can compare the risk between the two.  

The discussion was concerning Dentists (but you know that), who will very likely be working in the mouth of an infected person.  So even with PPE they (and their staff), are still in as much risk as an ER worker.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy - yeah, I'm in Michigan too. So it's okay to golf now but don't even think about trying to get your gallbladder out. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I do think it's odd that dentist can open but retail has to wait a week.

Perhaps you would be thinking somewhat differently if you were OLD, and had non-emergency but time related essential dentistry in the works since the end of February. 

My medical doctor, whom I trust absolutely, says to defer the dental work "as long as possible", but my dental office closed BEFORE I was able to get an opinion from them about how long the temporary filling can last.

So after having 6+ hours of restorative work on a botched root canal, I have an aging temporary filling and no permanent filling in sight.

And based on my birthdate alone, I'm on nobodies priority list to be sprung from house arrest because I'm now an old nonessential human.

Honored Contributor

@violann   I don't think I implied that dentist office should not open...I did not understand why a dentist who works in close quarters with their patients could open but a retail store where you can social distance cannot open.

I hope you can get the dental care you need...and by the way, I am a small business owner with no money coming in so I understand that we are all frustrated.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Look up Dr. Dan Erickson and his findings.....

Be sure to read about the people who disagree with him ...

I understand their u-tube video has been taken down.  

I saw an interview with them last night on the news...it was announced at the end of the show, that the video had been taken down!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@violann   I don't think I implied that dentist office should not open...I did not understand why a dentist who works in close quarters with their patients could open but a retail store where you can social distance cannot open.

I hope you can get the dental care you need...and by the way, I am a small business owner with no money coming in so I understand that we are all frustrated.

Of course. Trust me, I didn't mean at all to be snarky in any way. I think that every one of us is operating in some situation that is causing discomfort, confusion, and fear, and also feeling powerless and rudderless. 

I'm in the hottest spot in the country, and very grateful for our governor, and I have very dear close relatives in Ohio, and I've been following your governor too.

My best to you, and hopes and yes, Prayers daily, that we all come out of this soon with some of our old lives intact and growing and moving forward.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ohio's Slow Re-Opening

[ Edited ]

@hopi wrote:

Beside slowing the spread, a major reason for closing was allowing for medical staff, hospitals,  beds, ventilators, PPE to come in place so that people would be able to be cared for.  Much of this has been accomplished .  Concerned Governor's like Pritzker of Illinois have put their career on the line to make sure the tragedies in Italy and New York would not go on in Illinois and surrounding states.  Pritzker has shown brilliance in his organization. These closings has saved many lives.  High infection numbers in certain areas now is the result of more testing. Some area's of the U.S. are not actively testing.  Ignorance is bliss.

@hopi  I just wanted to point out that a state like Illinois would never approach what has happened in a state like NY unless your entire state was blatantly ignorant about the pandemic and disregarded all pandemic guidelines.  NY Governor Cuomo has acted brilliantly with his plan to attack covid19 spread.  The only reason NY has the numbers it does is because of the sheer density and population number which is far greater than Illinois'.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Sounds like DeWine is making good choices with essential medical and low-contact things opening first. I wish he would mandate masks.

I'm confused about why places like Georgia and Texas have gone the opposite route and have chosen to open high-contact businesses like salons, spas, tattoo parlors, gyms, and restaurants first when we haven't yet shown that our numbers of new infections have dropped for two weeks or more. Some Texas cities and counties closed construction back in March, but then the Governor opened them back up when he left them out of his much looser shelter-in-place order.

One town chose to open early and people were flocking to restaurant patios. I heard on the radio this morning that a tattoo parlor in Atlanta had something like 50 customers over the weekend. You can't be 6' away from someone for a tattoo. I hope everyone involved at least wore face masks.

Your information is wrong, @Alison Wonderland.  Texas has NOT opened salons, spas, bars and gyms.  

Correct. I posted that before Abbott made his announcement and based it off reports of the things expected to reopen.

He also said that his new EO, which would not include a mask requirement, would supersede the mandates of the cities and counties that are mandating masks. They're no longer able to fine people for not wearing masks. Awful idea.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ohio's Slow Re-Opening

[ Edited ]

@hopi  I just wanted to point out that a state like Illinois would never approach what has happened in a state like NY unless your entire state was blatantly ignorant about the pandemic and disregarded all pandemic guidelines.  NY Governor Cuomo has acted brilliantly with his plan to attack covid19 spread.  The only reason NY has the numbers it does is because of the sheer density and population number which is far greater than Illinois'.

@Deree 
They don't call Chicago "Second city" for nothing.

Hugh population, massive transit system, excessive high rises, excessive dense population, 2nd largest school system, International airports, ports and waterways,

Respected Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Look up Dr. Dan Erickson and his findings.....

Be sure to read about the people who disagree with him ...

Just like the people on the other side also.....

You said to look up what this guy said. I did, but also found people in the articles who refuted his “findings.” So I did see both sides of what he said.

Edited to add: 

ACEP-AAEM Joint Statement on Physician Misinformation

The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) jointly and emphatically condemn the recent opinions released by Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Messihi. These reckless and untested musings do not speak for medical societies and are inconsistent with current science and epidemiology regarding COVID-19. As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health.

COVID-19 misinformation is widespread and dangerous. Members of ACEP and AAEM are first-hand witnesses to the human toll that COVID-19 is taking on our communities. ACEP and AAEM strongly advise against using any statements of Drs. Erickson and Messihi as a basis for policy and decision making.

I misstated what I was trying to say.  The ones speaking out about them are also being questioned about what they are saying.   Works both ways.